slow cranking..shot starter?

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a DB one for my TDI and it's been perfect so far. The solenoid was slowly going bad on it and would disengage when it wanted to. DB also sells the brushes and solenoids for most starters; I bought a replacement set for the starter and cleaned/lubed the gears. It tested great at Advance and it's sitting in the basement as a spare for a total cost of ~$40. For a little over $110, you can't beat a new starter and a standby, and I plan on doing something similar with the truck one when it gets replaced before next winter.

Alan Slingsby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its been a while since iv been been on here;got the high torque starter UPS today! Cussed the top bolt tons and put new one in and wow talk about just barely hitting the key,she starts so awesome now. Old starter must have been total crap..mu2bdriver I will look into the parts on db website would be nice to have a back up!

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about these DB Electrical starters so I had a peek at their site. They have two different starters that I see.
a) HI TORK for $108.95 http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-5652-ford-truck-case-69l-73l-diesel-starter-f250-f350-1985-1994-hi-tork.aspx

b) High Torque for $84.78 http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-1345-new-starter-ford-e-f-truck-van-69-73diesel-high-torque-85-9.aspx

Which one are you guys using?

I've got four of the 108 dollar models, only lost one after a year. They spin fast and are smaller and easier to install.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That top bolt is very tuff on the older direct drive starters. As is its tuff on the gear reduction too. For me the easy way to remove that bolts is to make up a 3/8 drive wratchet and expension and socket just a little longer than the starter body. Some have felt making up a 36 inch extension so they can reach this bolt from in front of the engine frame cross member. Either way it works. Remove the top bolt before the other bolts. Remove the heavy battery cable too. Now drop down the starter to remove the other solenoid wire. Going back is much different. Install the side bolt firsat and snug it up. Now use some electrical tape on the extension to socket to bolt. Use just enough to keep the bolt from falling off the socket but enough to keep it in the socket. Now fish it up into the bolt hole and tighten it. Pull the socket and extension off and install the other bolt. Remember to finish tightening the snug side bolt. You can now install the wires to the starter. Please.. Remove the battery cables or risk a huge electrical flash and melted tools. Even wearing a wedding ring can ground out and melt to your finger so be careful around nearly 2000 amps just waiting to ground and show you the 4th of July display.

Alan Slingsby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^yes I did mostly as u said icanfixall lol and I didn't break anything :) I got the cheaper of the two starters it went in a lot easier..wonder if all the oil leaked on it over time helped kill it? Oil soaking in there giving it premature wear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online