Sloppy Steering Column

210Tumbleweed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get in a bind, I’ve got the manual somewhere that shows how to take it apart and put it back together but it’s not that complicated. Just physically challenging in my case.

Say there L J...
Does that there manual you have contain the COLOR CODES for the horn wires associated with a '94 Ford Van, with tilt/cruise/srs??? I've tried to read some of the PDF's that're available online, but by the time they get to my laptop---and I try to blow them up---I honestly cant read them. I just need to hook up the HORN...without setting off the AIRBAG...for now.
Later on hoping to get the cruise control, but I've still got to get all the gadgets and wiring to go with.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a related note, for the OBS trucks, will a later model column swap in?

Be careful, you might get into a lot of wiring. Don't know when they did it, but the later columns have the "multi-function switch" which has the headlight dimmer among other things moved up to the column from the floor.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be careful, you might get into a lot of wiring. Don't know when they did it, but the later columns have the "multi-function switch" which has the headlight dimmer among other things moved up to the column from the floor.
Thanks, my current truck is a 94 IDIT, so it already has the multifunction switch. I was just wondering how new of a column we'll swap in... Sorry for the hijacked by the way!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Say there L J...
Does that there manual you have contain the COLOR CODES for the horn wires associated with a '94 Ford Van, with tilt/cruise/srs??? I've tried to read some of the PDF's that're available online, but by the time they get to my laptop---and I try to blow them up---I honestly cant read them. I just need to hook up the HORN...without setting off the AIRBAG...for now.
Later on hoping to get the cruise control, but I've still got to get all the gadgets and wiring to go with.
I’ve got a Haynes manual that probably has that in it. Check out auto zones web site. You can usually find wire diagrams. Sometimes they will print them at the store for you too. I’m not close to my manuals at the moment. If you need them next week let me know.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
But.....
He asked about obs. Which ALL already have the MF switch......
I've seen wheel swaps from newer models.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But.....
He asked about obs. Which ALL already have the MF switch......
I've seen wheel swaps from newer models.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I never have quit figured out what obs (original body style) means. I figured it means 87-98, before the superduty came out. I know there is a major division from 86 to 87. Lots of things changed in 87. What is the other major division and what makes it so different from the 87-up models? When they changed the frontend?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It refers to the from end design. The obs front end was from 92-97. Bricknose is 87-91, bullnose is 81-86 respectively

210Tumbleweed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OOooo...Oooo….I know this'n!!!

And Its the F450 designation that didn't appear until 98-ish....Yessir mynes a SuperDuty, says so right on the left....

Front fender...and the right.....uh...RIGHT?

1993 F-Super Duty Cab&Chassis, 10 Lug, Ton and a Half….CANADIAN, EH!

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
OOooo...Oooo….I know this'n!!!

And Its the F450 designation that didn't appear until 98-ish....Yessir mynes a SuperDuty, says so right on the left....

Front fender...and the right.....uh...RIGHT?

1993 F-Super Duty Cab&Chassis, 10 Lug, Ton and a Half….CANADIAN, EH!
I believe you're right on that one.
I was just wondering how new of a column we'll swap in...
You will probably get an airbag that doesn't work unless there's already one in your truck (don't remember).

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Say there L J...

In line with what @laserjock said, I go here for my electrical diagrams. They want your email but I usually just fake one lol!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AwBnoECAYQFg&usg=AOvVaw1GUPodySECGz8T6Vg3IjYf

210Tumbleweed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm actually working on making a JY Special(steering column)...out of a 94 automatic trans van with all the bells an' whistles...fit into...nay, it fits...ELECTRICALLY CONNECT to my no bells nor whistles SuperDuke.
Latched on to this thread...'cause I can't seem to make the horn work; and later I'd like to have that cruise controller type upgrade... just gotta figure out the wiring.
First pic: new column installed
Second: leftovers
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

210Tumbleweed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully by the time I hit the road for the Rally...I'll have the double din'r radical radio installled....too. :bail

But that might be another thread....my appologies, if'n this was a hi-jackin...;burnout.

But in my defence, my original column is/was worn out.........too.

cason234

Reaction score
FOLLOW UP / WRAP UP

I just wrapped up my resolution to this problem: I bought 2 other steering columns at auto wreckers from low mileage trucks. They were surprisingly inexpensive ($25 each or so)! The one I installed was from a low mileage automatic truck without tilt steering (my truck is 5 speed and tilt). I completely disassembled the column, cleaned everything, and applied liberal amounts of grease wherever it was needed. Then, I removed the auto shifter and JB welded the hole in the column. Ditto for the ignition key switch..... now a totally smooth column. Note that I also installed the mid-shaft from the same low mileage truck (the original had a fair bit of play in it). Then, I replaced the ignition switch under the dash with a pair of relays (turned on by one single toggle switch), and also an Ebay PUSH START switch..... looks and works great! I replaced the OEM glow plug light (which looked really dim on this truck) with a 1" LED Bullet light..... nice and bright, and no mistaking if the glow plugs are firing or not! Then, I made a simple adapter for my MOMO steering wheel....... looks great and feels even better!

Two things left to do:

1)relocate the horn button to the dash. Once that's done, there's already a two position toggle switch that'll allow me to choose my horn tone..... either 4 Cadillac horns to tell 'em who's boss, OR a Toyota Corolla horn, for a friendly beep!
2) install a 'kill' switch under the dash...... the truck no longer has an ignition key, and although I'd be surprised if anyone wanted to steal this truck based on how it looks from the outside, it'd still be a drag to have to walk home from wherever I was when it was stolen!

Final outcome: no play in the "up / down" of the steering wheel (but still a small amount of play in the OEM steering box). Turn signals work like a brand new truck again (old ones wouldn't cancel one way), and a truck that's even more fun to drive than any of my other vehicles.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
My colum is floppy up and down but it's not really a problem. No binding steering or anything like that. If it ever starts having problems, I'll worry about it then.