slipping into insanity

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The f100 I have has a mild built 390 fe, id estamate it should be around 330hp and 380tq with the cam and the 10:1 compression it has. The rv cam is too small for the compression and the heads are miss matched, I want to ported some heads and get a 270 solid comp cam for it at some point. It was rebuilt by the past owner and then sat for a long time, I got it as a project in need of love and I like this engine. I change the ignition to a 6a with a duraspark distributor and holley 3310, its the summit version of the autolite 4100 right now.

You must be registered for see images attach

The body is in bad shape and had to replace the frame in the past. It came with questenable cab mounts and at that time I made a "temporary" floor pan, it came with a stop sign.

I had the bright ideal to grab this out of storage some months back, since makes me happy to get in it and go riding off into the sunset. This what she looked like before I parked her, those front tires where new then.

I had to do a lot to get it stable while driving it and sorting the front ride hight was last on the list. So those tires got tore up and replace, did correct the toe and level the front when that time passed. It was cold and the column was not in perfect alignment, so sorting the cab and making a rocker was first. Next on the list was to go through all the drums and get them all working. After that was new shocks and devising a means to get the rear axle to stop skiping. Also tryed to tune the carburetor but the wide band gauge failed.

The 9in slot mags that I put on this, means cheap used tires cant be found. These are a matched 235/70/15 and 275/60/15 28in staggered set, the muscle cars running these now are rare with all the big flashy wheels out now. Did have the diff welded so can give more time on the old ones, that can did not get kicked far enough down the road. So had to get some new ones and this was what was in stock local.

The year is 2017 and this truck got a close t19 with a stage 2 ram hdx clutch, part number is 88769HDX.

Even today, there is not much sign of wear on the clutch. This heavy clutch did manage to brake the fork tab in the bell a bit over a month ago, so that iron ball has been pulled for repairs. Have been finding the truck randomly act like it wanted to slip, it got noticeable and frequent recently. Today it made it know where it flat slipped and smelled like burnt clutch, there is correct play in the pedal.

This truck came with a pre 64 engine that was not really installed right, the towers were moved back and badly welded in place. When the frame was changed, I had to find a way to install it somewhat correct without hacking the frame up. So used bits of the old frame to make adapters but is a bit thin, it has reshaped them. That driver side one no matter what I try will not stay tight, both split lock washer and nylock failed. This is nylock with lock tight and still came lose some, that gap is not suppost to be there. At least it has not got to the point of the engine jumping for joy, going to see what I can do about it tomorrow.

Joy can easly be ripped away, unsure how this state can be salvaged but I refues to abandon it. Someone hit the back of the truck the other month when parked and left the body in a state that Im unsure if I can save it. The bed side and floor is bent up, along with the gate being where I dont dare open it.

The bed also got shoved into the cab and bent up this post, the door no longer closes right and have to hood slide the seat to get in. Now all the effort I went through to true the cab is in vain, that door was closing buttery smooth. I had to move the bed back and retighten all the bolts so was not shuttering against the cab. I told the last owner Id keep this truck together and not part it out, I had intent to find the parts to fix it up but now the cab is basically done.

It dont end there, I have no clue how much fuel this has since the float got knocked off. I have no intent to mess with the tank since was installed on a bare frame and would have to pull the bumper to get it out, also not motivated to get covered in fuel to pull the sender to put a replacement in. All those stainless steel bolts are torqued past yield, so wont vibrate loose and have to brake them off. I want my other truck running so can ignore this one for a bit but that card keeps getting pushed further down into the deck.

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having owned a few of these, Two things....
Salt sucks!
It's sad to see all of the destruction that truck has endured!

Sometimes it's ok to move on. That poor truck might make donor status.
I know about sentimental value and have seen that caliber of neglect made a 9.
But at what cost?
Save the classics!
End quote

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I have taken to cutting chunks out of other trucks to patch with. Also, a black dull finish hides more (semi-gloss for me). Bedliner/rockerguard hides even more.

That tailgate may be a goner. Maybe a 5th wheel type, mesh type, and something clever out of lumber could work.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a '59 on my one of my FedEx routes and he has his entire bed made out of stop signs and no left turn signs and the like. I've never studied it up close but the signs appear to be bent with a break and shaped together well, even the inside of the bed is road signs. It's kinda cool.....kinda. certainly a unique way to keep it alive. Get expressive, go rusty rat rod! I like rust, not the "north of the Mason/Dixon line" rust, just regular "hey I drive an old rusty truck" rust.
And hey, the loss of that tailgate sucks. Cause, you know, that is the best tailgate opening mechanism ever, it can't be broken.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Past me did good in leaving a schematic of the adapters made to follow and I copyed it to some 1/4in plate.

I was only able to drill one of them, the other just keep wanting to burn bits in a press.

Pulling the mount off the driver side proved me right that there was a issue, just was not obvious yet. She was trying to rip the plate in half this time, glade I cought it before the upper radiator hose got cut up.

So have the primary one sorted, the other will get done another time. She pulls hard now without issue and will brake loose the sticky mickys to power slide, so think this was the cause of clutch issues. Will know for sure after a bit of driving to see if that issue is resolved.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it's ok to move on. That poor truck might make donor status.
I know about sentimental value and have seen that caliber of neglect made a 9.
But at what cost?
Save the classics!
End quote

Would not rule out a low rust one needing a drave train, but odds are low to find one around where Im at.

that is my favorite Ford body!

Yea this is a nice body and with the narrow frame some fat meats would fit well in the rear, if tubed could go wider. Thinking the trailing arms off a c10 around the same year would do well on this.

I have taken to cutting chunks out of other trucks to patch with. Also, a black dull finish hides more (semi-gloss for me). Bedliner/rockerguard hides even more.

That is a good ideal, should try to find time to go hunting in junk yards for the pieces that are hard to remake. The last one was blitz black, thinking a semi gloss olive for this one if was to fix the body up

There's a '59 on my one of my FedEx routes and he has his entire bed made out of stop signs and no left turn signs and the like. I've never studied it up close but the signs appear to be bent with a break and shaped together well, even the inside of the bed is road signs. It's kinda cool.....kinda. certainly a unique way to keep it alive.

I have no objection to getting a brake to bend up thicker steel over what I bent up with a hammer. That would also give me a means to make front cab mounts to bolt in the factory location on the frame. The cab door post has a unique stamped shape, so would rather find a original piece there.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:rotflmao

Open sesame...

:angel:

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the truck started having seizures from a stop again and was having issues finding its source till it ripped free, then knew the engine found freedom. So tryed to lift the engine with a chain hoist and found the driver side did not stay attached. Well got this fixed and found under load was getting a odd diesel sound with power loss, several spark plugs came losse as well.

The newer mount is not equaled to the last I installed on this engine, its lower quality for one. They also could not keep the bolt in the same place of the last, so put up more a fight to install it back on the engine.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Beat on a lot of FE motors back in the day. Only had problems with motor mounts on one, and it was a 428 galaxie. A chain that pulled tight as the motor moved at wot fixed that problem

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beat on a lot of FE motors back in the day. Only had problems with motor mounts on one, and it was a 428 galaxie. A chain that pulled tight as the motor moved at wot fixed that problem

That would probully not be a bad ideal to chain more stuff down, it would need to be a bigger chain than tried on the axle with a better anchor point. The other option I have found is polly mounts, just that the plate whitch bolts to the engine would be a bit thin for only using the outter two holes. Thanks for the tip and will keep it in mind.

polly mounts

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also had a sandwitch going on with the collector to try and best seal them when I had the wide band installed, but the composit one failed with all the shaking going on.

So now it is copper bread with copper jam.

The state of the exhaust pipe is getting worse evertime I look at them and rust has taken its toll on them, these are thin to begin with.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going through pre check before yet another run to the house. This entails replenishing oil along with brake fluid, new bailing wire on the exhaust, checking colectors for loose bolt, tightening the chains on the rear axle and looking for anything else loose or out of place.

You must be registered for see images

Well the air cleaner was found loose and wobbly, under inspection I found the spacer fried. Dont think have noiced back fire but hard to tell over the leaky exhaust, the carb is black like has.

Hard to say if this is a cause but she aint getting new header in any know time.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well she found something else to brake...

:bail

This time its a axle shaft and it is not plausible to get the posi aprt to drive the end out, its drilled and welded solid. So guess I have to spend the money on a spool and upgrade to 31 spline over 28.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finaly got the 31 spline axles on hand to replace the 28 ones, should of had them sooner. They are ment for a bronco, any option for this truck is non existent.

Also got a spool as well and have that installed.

Glad that I went this route, the old center was rejecting the welds. Not much life is left before it brakes in half, all the welds broke free.