Slightly bent rim

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this so just into the general section. This is for the vw in my sig - have had the car about a year and half. Previos Owner got new tires put on before selling.

One tire would lose a little bit of air always - I typically pump to 32-ish PSI and one tire would always drop to about 25psi after a few days. I never worried about it Too much and just try to pump it up once a week. (which has been annoying)

I just did a tire rotation myself and noticed the same tire that loses air has a slightly bent rim on the inside of the wheel - so would assume this is likely the reason for the loss of air.

Anyone have tips on what to do? It's just the regular stock vw steely rims so nothing special. I could upgrade all the rims or maybe just get a single wheel replacement and transfer the tire over.

This car is my daily so just looking for something that is sustainable and cheap - any thoughts otherwise?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3461.jpg
    IMG_3461.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 3

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a few wheels like that. I just used a hammer to straighten them. If you are careful you can get it straight. That might fix the leak.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try what Reggie said but if that don’t work get some sick looking rims for it. IMO aftermarket wheels look good on any VW that isn’t like a classic

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds good either way haha, will probably start with the hammer eventually when I get tired of pumping

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
about a week or so ago pounded the rim for about half an hour and didn’t get it bent back as muchas expected. The tire does seem to be holding air much better than before though. Doesn’t seem to have lost any psi.

Good nuf for me

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it cause vibrations?

What does the full-size spare wheel look like? Swap tires? I would often browse VW wheels cause I had 2 ALH’s and 4 sets of wheels. 5x100mm

You must be registered for see images attach

Now I have a B5.5 Passat and All 4 of my winter rims are bent, aluminum, and were “fixed”. They don’t balance well, but my summer wheels smooth as silk so I know my vibes are the wheels.

You must be registered for see images attach

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice pics! Nah haven't noticed any difference with the vibrations or road feel. After doing the rotation maybe a month ago there was a pretty big improvement in things initially but it's probably settled back a bit. Mostly noise/rattling when hitting potholes etc.
I wasn't hitting the rim directly, was using wood for contact and ultimately the rim only bent back a negligible amount - maybe (maybe!) a couple millimeters. So am pleasantly surprised it did anything.
If it wasn't holding air the next plan was to swap rims with the spare.
Am assuming the rims/wheels are all balanced due to the newer tires put on by PO and there are some weights on them but not sure (still have the receipt so in theory could check)

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!! Makes sense. Sounds like suspension refresh time.

My green bug has 373k, just did a TB for the gal that bought it.Blue wagon had 276k when I sold it.

Refreshed all suspension components and bushings, cars literally drove like new!! I’d swap rims, course then you gotta keep wind in your spare...

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On steel wheels I use a 4lb mini sledge and hit the wheel directly.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yo rdnck always get a kick from your avatar pic haha. yeah did some of that too i must be weak and need a bigger hammer

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I found that I thought it was awesome. One of those statements that make you stop and think about it.

James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.