slave cylinder question

zpd307

Reaction score
what is the purpose og the plastic strap/cap thingy that came with the new slave. there was literature all over inside the box that stated do not cut or remove. it looks like it would prohibit any movement of the push rod. :dunno
on a side note, i hope it bled out right, i now have a clutch feel with the new master and slave. hopefully i will find out tomorrow.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I always thought it was to keep the piston from moving and sucking the cylinder full of air and to just keep things together.

ihatelaramie

Reaction score
What I had read was that, among what has been said already, it's purpose is to provide a slick surface for the rod to wear against, as opposed to metal to metal contact. Don't know if it makes much difference, but I know that when I put mine on, it didn't break the tabs off so when I had to remove it 2 months later, I hooked them back up and it made it easier to pull off and get back on. Again.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't cut it or remove it. Once you intall the slave, release the straps from the top and bottom and leave it there. It makes removing and installing the slave much, much easier in the future. I use it all the time when I need to lube the TOB (when the pedal gets firm or it starts to sqeek). The previous slave cylinder didn't have it and the difference (for me at least) is night and day when taking it off and especially when installing.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so i should remove the straps.

Once you get it on the bellhousing, release the top and bottom part of the strap from the slave cylinder and the rod will move to the fork and you'll be done. When you need to take it off again, push the rod in and anchor the straps to their little notches on the slave cylinder and you've got it licked.

Heath

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
As I understand it the straps just snap the first time you depress the clutch... They just hold the plastic bit on the tip so it does not fall off during installation. If you can manage to unhook the straps after bolting everything in place, I guess it will help for future dis-assembly/reassembly. And as it has been mentioned, the plastic tip is just a nicer wear item than the metal on metal.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so i should remove the straps.

If you pushed the clutch pedal in, you already did. :rolleyes:

Honest to gosh... I'd pay $20 for that little plastic gem. If somebody sold them seperately or had a supply of them, they could make a fortune. Anybody who has one and knows how to use it knows how valuable it is. Anybody who doesn't have one, would wish like crazy they did, if they knew how much grief it saved.

zpd307

Reaction score
gotcha! the old slave w/o the strap wasnt fun, but i didnt think it was that hard either. probably because it was shot.....

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Never had an issue either way...maybe I should just take them off when I put one on and sell them for $20!

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
If you pushed the clutch pedal in, you already did. :rolleyes:

Honest to gosh... I'd pay $20 for that little plastic gem. If somebody sold them seperately or had a supply of them, they could make a fortune. Anybody who has one and knows how to use it knows how valuable it is. Anybody who doesn't have one, would wish like crazy they did, if they knew how much grief it saved.

Mel, I have the old one off my donor truck, (somewhere) if I can find it you can have it if you need it.
For some reason it wasn't in between the slave rod and clutch arm, but was hanging by one of the tabs in its notch. I have no idea how it stayed like that.
I'm not sure where it is right now but if I run across it I'll let you know.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I ended up buying a new slave when I had my tranny off for the flywheel replacement ...Just to get that stinking piece of plastic , because some ****** had cut the straps at sometime and I just couldn't get the stinking slave back on without the things :backoff
I would love to be able to buy those things. Somebody sells them, The rebuilders buy them from someone, but they are not available on the open market.