Silicone solvent?

jvencius

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's a solvent for silicone/RTV? I tried changing my front diff fluid yesterday, but there is one hex-socket headed bolt (closest to the inboard U-bolt) that the dealer buried in whatever sealant they use and I cannot get it out. I thought about heating the head of the bolt with a torch, but that gives me the ******* and I'm not sure how well penetrating lube like PB Blaster/WD-40 will work if the bolt is buried in dried sealant.

martyfowler

Reaction score
i dont know of any solvent that will work on dried silicone. im sure there is something out there that will, but it would probably eat a hole through your hand if you got it on you. heating it may help. it shouldn't hurt any thing, but just dont get carried away. you dont want to get your diff cover glowing red or anything. another thing that will work is to use a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a wire cup brush on it. that should eat the silicone away from the bolt head. it will also work good for cleaning up the cover after you get it off. good luck, -marty