shoulda done it sooner!!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rich-
i have yet to ship one of these units due to the weight penalty.
check around the local wreckers to you firstly. Most have no idea what they go for. One that's pulled off a ZF5 with hydraulic pump will fetch between 100-300bux. Trust me. That's cheap. Dirt stinkin' cheap. If you still don't like the performance later after the install, I can sell you a pump that will make your bed hyd a rocket. BUT....that requires serious bux. I've replumbed a couple of Dynamic beds and the guys who paid dearly for the work can't keep their mouths shut on how quick their units are now. I've even had a Miller engineer drop in to see what's been done.
But...you have to start with a baseline first.
I can check with my local wrecker tomorrow to see if he has anything sitting on the ground if you like.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I install them too, I used to do quite a bit of PTO work as I used to work for Trimac and they are a national bulk tanker fleet....All of our trucks had PTO's, some had two....One pump and one blower....The PTO is not the issue with the ZF, the thin aluminum case is. The PTO pushes the shaft in the tranny sideways which put's a side thrust on the bearing and eventually it takes out the case.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I install them too, I used to do quite a bit of PTO work as I used to work for Trimac and they are a national bulk tanker fleet....All of our trucks had PTO's, some had two....One pump and one blower....The PTO is not the issue with the ZF, the thin aluminum case is. The PTO pushes the shaft in the tranny sideways which put's a side thrust on the bearing and eventually it takes out the case.
not so in most towtrucks and light/med duty trucks. We don't have that kind of strain on the systems. highest I've ever worked on is 11gpm. Nominal is 3gpm. If that's the case, I'd have a bunch of junk casings on my hands. I do have junk casings due to cracking though but not from the countershaft bearing race walking on me.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
My PTO experience is not with the small stuff like a ZF so I won't argue with you on that as I haven't touched one....I'm usually putting them on Fuller 18spd's and the likes. I'm just passing along the info that I've been told by two experienced guys in the industry....Jim has been doing this stuff for ever....He's a Ford guy too....Has a 1996 F350 dually 4x4 with 6" of lift, 7.3PSD, 6spd, 12000lb winch, 35" tires and etc. The company that he works for specializes in PTO related products. They are a Muncie, Western, Warn and etc dealer.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rich-
i have yet to ship one of these units due to the weight penalty.
check around the local wreckers to you firstly. Most have no idea what they go for. One that's pulled off a ZF5 with hydraulic pump will fetch between 100-300bux. Trust me. That's cheap. Dirt stinkin' cheap. If you still don't like the performance later after the install, I can sell you a pump that will make your bed hyd a rocket. BUT....that requires serious bux. I've replumbed a couple of Dynamic beds and the guys who paid dearly for the work can't keep their mouths shut on how quick their units are now. I've even had a Miller engineer drop in to see what's been done.
But...you have to start with a baseline first.
I can check with my local wrecker tomorrow to see if he has anything sitting on the ground if you like.

i just figured i would do some bussiness with a forum member.i priced a new PTO last week it was around 500.00 i think.i would stay with the belt drive if i could figure out how to get a bigger pump on it and not have to keep changing the belts.the pump im running now is tiny and its too close to the battery.plus if i run a tranny mount pto i can use the belt drive brackets and pullies to run an air compressor.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
woo hoo i can finaly turn up the IP!!with the auto i was running around 750* on the pyro in normal city driving and would hit 900 with ease trying to climb a normal everyday city hills.now just cruising around at 35MPH my pyro is reading around 350* and i have yet to get over 700.i even had a full size 4WD 85 chevy pickup on it and couldnt get over 700*;Sweet ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online