shoulda done it sooner!!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this zf swap is sweet!!i can climb small hills that used to dog it down with the auto in 5th and still picking up speed and cooler EGTs!!!gets up to speed loaded alot faster now and again lower EGTs.dont know what impact it has on fuel mileage yet.i have a couple return lines and the fuel filter head leaking.hopefully ill be able to fix that this week and see if it has improved or stayed the same.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Told ya! Glad you could do it cheap. Some people have good luck with the E4OD but not many. My money is that you pick up 1-2 mpg maybe a little less. No more slippage and you're probably shifting where its best power is. Can't trust an auto to do that if you ask me.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rich-
glad to hear something's going right:thumbsup:
I presume you stayed with your belt driven PTO?

ya for now im still running the belt driven PTO.im lookin for a pto and pump to go on the tranny as thats another problem that NEEDS to be fixed.i was thinking about useing all the brackets and pullies for the pto to run an air compressor instead.:D

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
If I were you I'd leave your bellt driven pump alone. A good buddy of mine is a service advisor for the local Ford dealer, he said they are constantly doing ZF reman swaps due to PTO's being mounted on them. They just aren't heavy duty enough for a PTO....Just passing along what I was told.:dunno

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were you I'd leave your bellt driven pump alone. A good buddy of mine is a service advisor for the local Ford dealer, he said they are constantly doing ZF reman swaps due to PTO's being mounted on them. They just aren't heavy duty enough for a PTO....Just passing along what I was told.:dunno

Hmmm...this is interesting, as Mike my boss has a tow truck with ZF and uses the PTO and has tranny troubles.....perhaps thats part of the problem...

What exactly goes on when a PTO is used that causes these transmissions to fail?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
former boss has a 90 idi superduty dump with zf and pto and reverse went out. would not go into reverse no matter what.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the belt drives gotta go.im tired of a slower than death hydraulic system.tired of replacing belts atleast twice a month at 60.00 a pair everytime i gotta do them.:eek:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
How many HP is your Hyrdraulic pump? My buddy was here tonight helping me with the 205 t-case install. He's a Western snow-plow/blower/pump/dump body fabricator and installer. He said an IDI can handle up to about a 32HP belt driven pump....He said he has seen the ZF's puke with PTO's....Muncie saw this happening and made some changes to the PTO's but he said Ford didn't correct their weak ZF cases so he still doesn't recommend a PTO on a ZF.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A properly shimmed PTO will last for years hanging off the side of a ZF. This is my specialty of repair work. Proper routine maintenance is critical. There's more moving parts, so leaks must be addressed immediately or you will burn up a ZF. For a few years.....89-97 Ford dominated the lightduty towtrucks with the F450 superduty. I've never heard of the ZF being called weak due to a PTO.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
A properly shimmed PTO will last for years hanging off the side of a ZF. This is my specialty of repair work. Proper routine maintenance is critical. There's more moving parts, so leaks must be addressed immediately or you will burn up a ZF. For a few years.....89-97 Ford dominated the lightduty towtrucks with the F450 superduty. I've never heard of the ZF being called weak due to a PTO.
Care to enlighten us on this info????????:hail:hail

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Care to enlighten us on this info????????:hail:hail
what do you want to know?
I set the play at ten thou with stacking the appropriate paper gaskets. this requires having the cover on the opposing side off to check for backlash.
When operating, do not idle up over 1500rpm.
When doing monthly PM's, check for leaks.
I sell and service Dana/Chelsa PTO units for any application that requires hydraulic power. Never lost one due to normal use and fluid PM's.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a few years.....89-97 Ford dominated the lightduty towtrucks with the F450 superduty. I've never heard of the ZF being called weak due to a PTO.

untill i get the need for a bigger truck i will never own anything but a super duty.i love the fact tha it has a big wieght capability in a small truck.

ive never heard of the ZF being called weak cuz of a pto either.i have heard them called weak though.if you know how to run it you should never have an issue.ive seen a pto tear up a ZF cuz the driver didnt know how to run the PTO or drive a standard.

I sell and service Dana/Chelsa PTO units for any application that requires hydraulic power.

do you ship?and what kind of pricing can you get me on one for my tranny?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online