should i run these mufflers or will they choke the engine

philadelphia

Reaction score
I have some 2 chaber flowmaster 3" mufflers laying around. Im gonna install a 5" dia stack off a peterbuilt soon and remove the stock international muffler on my truck..Its what comes stock on a 1989 s1600 with the 7.3. I think its dual 2 1/2 in and 4" single out.. Im trying to free up the engine a bit and dont mind extra noise..

My plans are to run a flowmaster y pipe 3" in and 4" out then run that to the stack with a 4" to 5" adapter.. I was thinking sinmce i have the flowmasters laying around why not put them on..Im new to diesels and dont know how the are with exhuast volume..Compared to the factory **** these are tiny..But they held up fine and i lost no HP when they were on my 8 sec 1/4 mile car..

should i just run the straight pipes to the stack or use them..Buying a different **** really isnt an option..

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's naturally aspirated it's going to be obnoxiously loud without some kind of muffler. With a turbo the straight pipe is for sure the way to go. One thing you could do is run dual stacks and put a 3" muffler on each pipe running from the manifold to the stacks.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Flowmasters sound awsome on these trucks! at idle it quite when you rev on it it sounds mean!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Flowmasters work pretty nice on diesels. I don't know how, But they do :dunno. If you ever cut one open, you'll see there is almost zero restriction( the only restriction is where it changes directions

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I say glasspack cherry bombs alll the way! I got one on my truck and if you can stand the noise it flows awsome! However when it comes time to safety inspect my truck, I will have to put the factory muffler back on because the cherry bombs will not pass.

philadelphia

Reaction score
cool good to know..I will plan to add them to the truck.

I only have one stack though..I got it used and plan to pull the peterbuilt muffler off and just run the chrome stack.

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been working in muffler shops for 9 yrs now. My favorite for n/a trucks is a 3" glasspack. I have fixed the y pipe on several of my trucks and put on a glasspack and it made a difference.

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried it yet, but I think a ****** Aerochamber would be awesome on these trucks. It's a straight through muffler similar to a glass pack, but has a much quieter/deeper tone with no cackle that is common on the glass packs. Also they're cheaper than a Flowmaster.

mR

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Ive got the knock off version from thrush and it sounds great. Its 3 inch and I have a 5 inch tip on the end. I thought it would be to loud but its not loud at all inside the cab.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Walker BTM, it will flow enough for any car or truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach