Shaking to pieces!

7.3shrk

Hey folks,

I'm kind of new here...been laying low, and reading and learning. Anyway, I am pretty new to diesels, just got my first in January, and I love it! I've been a Chevy guy, but I love this Ford diesel!

Buuutttt, I have a problem. My truck is a 92 F-250, with a ZF, and 197000 miles. A previous owner took out the TTB, and replaced it with a Dana 60 (no complaints about that) but an unknown year. It has a 6" lift, and running 35's. When they put on the lift, they rigged up a track bar set up. The PO cut a piece of 5/16 steel to bolt to the frame, and made a sort of track bar drop. I guess it could work. They also made their own track bar out of bar stock and rod ends, which is sloppy. They next added a bar to connect the DS spring plate to the bracket as well. Do not know if this works. Finally they stacked pinion shims between the axle and springs which looked ready to shoot out. Holy crap. Now The axle bearings were loose as well.

Now if you are still following along, thank you. To top it off, I put a set of used BFG 35's on this thing. And one of the steering dampers fell off.

So the thing drove well enough when I bought it. So of course, I had to screw it up. I removed the pinion shims, figuring they were dangerous, and at the same time, gain some extra caster. At the same time, I tightened the axle bearings, and put on the tires.

Now, the thing shakes like a SOB at speeds of 25 to 50 mph. It clears up most of the time with a little steering input, and then when I let go, it starts again. It is fine on the freeway. I next discovered the drop bracket thing was loose, so I tightened it up. It helped for a couple of days, but I am back to square 1.

Where should I start? the steering components are not great, but nothing sticks out as very bad. I am trying to make smart choices, and do not want to throw money at it if possible.

If you have kept reading to here, please help me!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You!

Oh and once we can figure how to fix this for almost free, I want to figure out how to turbo my truck for almost FREE (worth a shot)!:D

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Welcome to the best darned IDI website period ;Sweet .

Sorry I cant help you on your shaking, all of that suspension mumbo jumbo has me confused. I'm sure someone will be able to help you out. If you had any way of taking pictures of your suspension/steering and posting them on here, that would probably help us out to figure out what is going with all of the shaking.

As far as turbo's go, I wish they were dirt cheap, but they arent. You can usually pick up a used turbo off of ebay for around $1000 give or take.

You should also fill out your signiture with your truck info, and your location cause you might be close to somebody on this site that can help you out.

7.3shrk

Thanks for the welcome...by the time I was done typing, I was pretty confused! I am trying to figure out where to start that would make the most sense. As for the pictures, I am horrible with that kind of stuff, but I will try. As for the turbo...if I could just get one for $900 cheaper. That is just a wish list thing for now.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome...by the time I was done typing, I was pretty confused! I am trying to figure out where to start that would make the most sense. As for the pictures, I am horrible with that kind of stuff, but I will try. As for the turbo...if I could just get one for $900 cheaper. That is just a wish list thing for now.

I'm sure somebody will help you out, I would if I had any clue as to what you said, I'm not up on all of the suspension lingo.

You can get a turbo for $900. Just periodically look on ebay, and your local craigslist.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well the pinion shims were there to relieve some of the angle on the u-joints and that could be part of your vibration - easy way to tell - take the front driveshaft off and drive it - if vibration goes away or lessens then you know that it's the cause or part of it. When I lifted a truck I had to shim the front and rear axles because of binding at the u-joints.

Now you state that one of the steering dampers fell off - did you reinstall it. I know when I built mine I had to end up and put dual dampers on mine to control the death wobble as it's commonly referred to as.

oops gotta go - dog went out the front door.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome. I'd double check those bearings. Usually if they need tightened, they may be worn or falling apart. A full repack would be wise. Aside from that, definitely replace the steering stabalizers and check for looseness anywhere in the steering.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Track bar

I would check all that has already been mention.
Along with getting the track bar straightened out.
On a lifted truck the front would have more room to jump around.
The track bar is to keep the front tracking straight(not bouncing side to side)
I had track bar bushings go bad on a F350 and the problem I had was on a slight turn if I hit a inperfection in the road it sent the truck into a violent shake.
Almost to the point of pulling the steering wheel out of my hands.
Now the 1st thing I do to any truck I buy is change the track bar bushings.
They are avaliable through Ford still.
Hope this helps.
John

RedTruck

Reaction score
I did a d60 swap and have had some similar problems, even though yours seem to be less violent than mine. I kept the stock height so it was easier for me to figure out what was wrong.

Is your D60 Kingpin or Balljoint? Like everyone has mentioned here get everything tight first. If that doesn't solve your problem post back.

Paul

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a case of 'death wobble' caused by having too much caster (I could be wrong). There are lots of websites that can show you how to measure out your suspension setup for optimum tire life and alignment.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on the caster situation. To repair it properly, cut the spring perches off the axle, rotate the pinion to the correct position for the right caster, and weld the perches back on. If you are the LEAST bit unsure of how to do this right, pay a competent 4x4 shop to do it. A day's labor there will pay off- espeically if you don't have the tools to do it right. The spring perches, steering stabilizer mounts, swaybar mounts, trackbar mounts and everything will need to be moved, and it can snowball into a huge pain in the ass!

The other option, if you can't rotate it enough, or in the right direction to correct your situation, is to cut and turn the "C's" on the ends of the axle. That requires some specialized jigs and equipment, but is sometimes the best way to fix things...

I've got lots of experience in 4x4's and rockcrawlers, and pinion angle/caster angle is a common issue and is easily resolved.

Ryan

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front driveshaft angle would only cause vibration if the lockouts and / or transfer case are engaged. (Make sure your front driveshaft rotates freely with the truck sitting still).

Were the tires balanced? Do they run true? It sounds like you may be getting loose parts from a vibration, not vice-versa.

dman91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have leaves up front which I am assuming then check the holes for the guide pins on the leaf packs. The are the lower side of the bolts that hold the packs together. I have had those hole wallow out and not matter how tight the U-bolts were the axle shook. You may also check the tire balance. If the speeds that the shakes happen at are regular then thats a cheap thing to rule out. Used BFGs can be sketchy some times.

7.3shrk

Hey all,

Thank you for all of the quick responses. I have spoken to a very well known, at least locally, alignment shop, and was told that it sounds like the caster is way off, which may be about right as it had shims stacked on top of each other. I am going to try to look at that first, as it can be a cheap temporary fix, and this seems like it started after they came out if I recall. I will then try to work my way to the wheel bearings. They became loose on one side because the tab on the lock ring broke off. I put on a new one, but they can use repacking. I will then work my way to the tie rods and drag link. I am also going to try and locate a track bar, and bracket.

By the way, can anyone tell me about a so called washer trick, which includes a washer in the king pins?

Thank you very much again!

Nick