Serious Dumba$$ move!!

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
So with all the PSD & big truck troubles I've been having of late, I've gotten used to looking deep in the motors for power problems. Had to take a trip to the Pete dealer the other day for some air system problems & mentioned the truck was running crappy & I was having to downshift in places I never did before. So the tech, who is a good guy & knows his ****, starts asking if I did this & that & then asks when the last time the AIR FILTERS were changed.

:eek: :eek: :eek: I could remember where they were changed......but not how long ago. Completely forgot about 'em. When I took 'em out & turned 'em over on the shop floor, they left piles of dirt on the floor!!!! Needless to say, it runs like a new truck with the new filters. Just did 1500 miles with the sweet sound of ALOT more turbo whistle. So moral of the story is K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid. I was slapped about repeatedly by the shop personel.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Don't feel bad I think we all have made that mistake... I know I'm guilty as charged I did it on the last filter change on my truck a few months ago - which reminds me maybe I should pop the hood and check it again...

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I am notorious for doing that with fuel filters. My 02 has 80K on it and i have only changed the FF 2 times:rolleyes:
Happy Holidays
Ken

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Hey, i didn't bother changing the air filter on my truck when i got it. I accidentaly skipped it when i did the first service on it, then i was going to arkansas and wondered why i had little power and poor fuel mileage. I pulled over, took out the filter, and it CRUMBLED TO PIECES IN MY HANDS. I called the PO who had owned it since new and he says '*** is an air filter, i've never had this thing serviced.'

Truck had 100k miles on it.....

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
When I bought my B model it ran ok. I spent a few months tinkering and driving it around town for fun(and learn to drive two sticks). I just went to head out of town for 60 mile drive and it started to falter, stumble and slow down(on highway). OOPS!! I turned around and headed for the house. I start to poke around and found the fuel filter canister. I pulled it down to find the filter(old cartridge style) completely plugged with sludge and the bottom of the can was 1/2" deep in sediment packed tight. DOH!! I figured it would have been serviced pretty well when it was owned by wrecker company. Guess it kinda got lost in the shuffle the last 10 yrs of use?

I pulled the can off and started to clean it out. In the process I drove my screwdriver right thru the bottom of the can, as it was pretty rusty under all that water/sediment. Oops! I went back to PO as I knew he had lots of parts yet and he gave me another can off parts truck out back. I cleaned it up(it was pretty nice) and got new filter and got it all back together. WOW...runs like a champ!

I've since put a additional "primary" filter right next to tank with water seperator built in. Much easier to change this(simple screw on) then dismantling canister and making a mess as fuel pours all over everything.

It's the little things that will get you everytime!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was at the chicago airport, O'hare, and we were trying to push a loaded 747 frieghter out to leave, the pushback had no power, lots of black so they call me at the hotel at 2 am I go out to check it and I figure the blower shaft is broken, detroit 8v 71, so I start looking for problems , find another tractor whatever, airplane mechanic is getting pissed, delays are costly. Tried to pull the filter and it was stuck tight . Had the engine shut down, clunk, the filter fell out the second the engine quit turning, fired it back up and the driver said holy sh#$, this hasnt run like this for a year!!!!!!!!!! I fired our maintenance guy there ,he had been pencil whipping the records. Oil was 2 years old grrrr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online