Serious amount of oil being blown out

rmyers2051

KV8OOA
Reaction score
First off, 96psd, 246k miles,swamps baby's, bully dog chip, straight exhaust, stock intake.
When driving unloaded, not towing, just commuting to and from work truck uses about 5 quarts of oil between changes, and I suspect that the majority of that is a leak. Normally drive about 22 miles from start to stop, rural setting 4 lane, 55mph speed limit. fuel mileage is just as it was when truck was stock with 80k miles, around 22/25 depending on how much I run interstate.
A few weeks ago I towed my off roader on 16 ft trailer to play in the woods for the weekend, when I got on the interstate I hammered on it to blend into traffic, it pulled up to 2800 or so and started smothering down like I had let off of it. I backed out got the next gear and it began pulling again. Off and on like this for the 80 mile trip. Fellow following along with me said my truck was blowing a lot of blue smoke, but since I havea 99 tailpipe on it that does not extend out to the edge of the truck he couldn't tell where it was coming from. Get to where we are going and I didn't think any more about it, rode in the woods for a few hours(Bronco) and when I came back and loaded up I checked the oil in my psd. It was 2 gallons low. I filled it back up with the normal elixer of Shell Rotella T, and started home. It did the same thing with pulling down and missing. I determined that anything over 2krpms, and or 15psi boost would aggravate this situation. It used 1 gallon of oil for the 80 miles back.
On M onday I called my local guru and he suggested the obvious-bring it in.
Well, they decided that I needed a turbo rebuild, a pedistal reseal and a ebpv seal kit. Blowby was determined to be very minimal(unknown as to how this test was performed) $680.00 and ONE WEEK later I get the truck back, it actually runs better somewhat. Seems that the missing and such was caused by the sheet metal washer on the pressure reg housing being missing. All oil leaks were either stopped or minimized to near nothing.
Yesterday I made the same trip, with same trailer/load. Guy behind me tells me my truck is blowing blue smoke, and that it smells like oil burning. Even at 75mph he can smell it behind me. Get to parking area, same place as before, let it sit a while and cool down. Check oil-2 gallons low again. Refill and start home, watching the smoke in the mirror I determined that when I'm pulling hard it smokes bad, real bad. Stop about halfway home and check oil in a Wal-mart and its a gallon low. Refill and while refilling I notice that there is about a gallon of oil dripping from every square inch under the truck, and about the same from under my trailer. Get back to Lexington, take trailer to my shop, unhook and go to car wash to spray undercarriage down.Looks like I ran over a barrel of oil there is so much under there. Get it cleaned up-sort of, drive home Check oil 1 gallon down. My guess is the smoke was from the oil on the pipes.
I refill AGAIN, and drive the truck about 100 miles unladen last night. No appreciable leaks, oil on full mark on dipper sticker. After climbing around under it I have determined the oil stick is not the culprit, it is dry. Valve covers appear to be dry, even before sprayin it off. Look into intake area at turbo-dry.
Guesses please?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta say the obvious.......... injector o-rings.

rmyers2051

KV8OOA
Reaction score
Brand new, installed two days before the first oil dripping trip. But, still possible. That would not explain the amount of oil blown out of the engine, nor would it explain the small pool on top of tranny bellhousing, would it?
My smoke, in my opinion is from oil on the exhaust pipes, I just don't think it is coming out the pipe.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
It sounds like any boost causes an increase in crankcase pressure.......

Can you re-create the leaks with the truck at a "high idle"
speed close to your road rpms.......

open the hood and prop the loud pedal with a stick long enough to set the rpms and let her rip for a 15-20 minutes or so.
Don't fear any over-rev damage as you can mash the pedal
all the way and hold it as the eng speed is controlled by the 'pooter.

If my thoughts are close to being right, you prolly won't see any signs of oil leaking......because without the pressure from the turbo's boost, crankase pressure isn't increased unless you either have worn/broken rings, a serious hole in a piston, or a busted valve guide.

You did not mention any cold or hard start issues with heavy white smoke so I doubt any of that applies.

Turbos are one place to identify excessive oil consumption due to the seal between the compressor side and exhaust side wearing/failing thus allowing oil press to squeeze past the turbine and out the exh.

Yours was rebuilt so we need to look elseware....valve guides, loose intake seals have been known to increase oil consumption.

Are your front and rear seals leaking that were not leaking before the notice in oil use? these are also indications of high crankcase pressure.

What does your ful look like when you remove the fuel filter? Black means inj o rings as Mike pointed out.

Your eng is building serious crankcase pressure!

rmyers2051

KV8OOA
Reaction score
crankcase pressure is what I am thinkng also. I have a plan! I'll take an extra oil cap, drill and tap it for a npt thread, stick a piec of hose on it and plumb to a guage. Then hook it to my trailer again and go out and mash on my motor. What would I expect to see for a healthy engine? 3-5psi?

sassyrel

Reaction score
me thinks even three psi might be a bit high-ive a tool to hook to the pcv hole--to measure it--and it just floats a ball--to marks on the tube--and half up the tube is too much--sooooooo???????????

rmyers2051

KV8OOA
Reaction score
Had a few minutes to play last night, pulled the breather off of the valve cover. After wiping oil off of it I found that even though I have bronchitis right now and each and every breath is a labor, I can blow through it quite easily. There was a very minute amount of oil in the intake tubes. If you wipe your fingers all the way around it you can actually see some on your fingers.
Steam cleaned from the bottom again, oil appears to be coming from top first, then seeping down the bellhousing

rmyers2051

KV8OOA
Reaction score
f-two-fiddy said:
Check your crankcase vent
Check the post above yours

Possible Solution!
Thoroughbred Performance Diesel has my truck, they feel like they have founf the culprit, possibly the oring(new one at that) on the back of the pedestal did not seat 100% in its groove. We'll know tomorrow.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
rmyers2051 said:
Check the post above yours

Possible Solution!
Thoroughbred Performance Diesel has my truck, they feel like they have founf the culprit, possibly the oring(new one at that) on the back of the pedestal did not seat 100% in its groove. We'll know tomorrow.

That would cause the hemmorige :eek:
Another possibilty is {forbid} a cracked pedestal -cuss

Got all my good finners' crossed fer ya :cheers:

rmyers2051

KV8OOA
Reaction score
Well, draw filing the turbo base flat, and the pedestal flat slowed it down to a trickle. Monday it will get not a rebuilt but a NEW turbo and pedestal. I'm tired of messing with it.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me your not going to put a stocker back on there.

rmyers2051

KV8OOA
Reaction score
Mmm, yea, for 700 for BOTH pieces Brand New. If I didn't go with stock, what would it have cost me? It really aint too late you know.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, thats not a bad price I guess, but to go with the H2E would be about three times that much. It sets you up for down the road modifications.

rmyers2051

KV8OOA
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Well, thats not a bad price I guess, but to go with the H2E would be about three times that much. It sets you up for down the road modifications.
only mods I have done, and most likely will ever be done are a set of Swmps Babies, and only 'cause one of my customers owed me money and is a dealer for him.I got them and had them installed for the equivalent of 5 pieces of 7071 aluminum bar stock, 2" in diameter.