Sending unit

IH444t

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to get a sending unit for a 1994 f250 my front tank sending unit is bad and I'm missing the rear tank. I was wondering where to get both of them from and maybe a good rear tank. I looked on lmc truck and they have one for 600 just for the sending unit.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, tthe sending units are obsolete. Many on here have tried to find them without succcess. If LMC has them, that's why the Hi price.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
http://www.gastanksusa.com/191919fof4an.html
This place lists one that say turbo diesel 1990-1992. They didnt have a turbo in those years. It looks identical to my 93. I would call them and see what they story is and get the correct info and please post back what you find out. They also have listings for rear tanks.
The other option is to have them rebuilt here are 2 places. I have used the one in Michigan for spedo repairs.
http://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/services.asp
http://www.tristarrradiator.com/index.html

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have had many ideas on how to "make" one or repair the sending unit. I am still waiting for someone to find out if a 460 sending unit can be made to work. The problem will be the type of electrical plug and the type of fuel line fittings. The absolute requirements are supply and return line fittings(most 460's, even carbed ones have this), and in your case needs to be a large hole type sending unit. The spot where the pump goes for the 460 could be bypassed/hose added.

IH444t

Reaction score
So what do we do if we can't get them and they fail? Then my truck is just a big paper weight

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your options are pretty much:
1. Fix what you have.
2. Have someone fix what you have
3. Find a used one.
4. Find a new one that is close and mod it.
5. Make something completely different.

I think I saw someone do a 460 unit not too long ago. The connector has 4 pins on top but I think they plugged their 2 pin connector right into it on the correct pins. Until someone reproduces them, these will be the options or do something completely custom.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of aftermarket fuel gauge sensors (assuming thats what you meant by sender, the rest of the assembly is just a couple tubes). You'd have to find the right ohm range. Most marine sensors are 33-240 ohm, and have adjustable arms to get the right range of motion in the tank.

Auto parts stores have the rear tank ~100 bucks.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I spoke to gas tanks usa today. They said that some people have use this sender in 93 up trucks. He stated that he wasn't positive but he thinks the lines are to short or need to be bent. He said the ohm range Is correct for 93 up. I hope someone tries this and documents in a thread so we will have a solution. If I needed one I would but mine are fine. Mel could you figure it out and stock them if indeed they work or offer a modified version that would be a drop in replacement?

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These folks get my vote for adapting to stock ford unit.

http://isspro.mybigcommerce.com/r8927/

Looks like the sending unit it's self can slide up and down the stalk to be adjusted to fit any size tank, or removed and re-mounted on your old broken down Ford sending unit as a replacement sender with new float.

A few cents less than $60 bucks beats the hell out of the nearly $300 for a list price one from the Stealership.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few cents less than $60 bucks beats the hell out of the nearly $300 for a list price one from the Stealership.

You can get adjustable arm boat senders for ~15-20 on amazon. I picked one up just for the float LOL

The sensors look like they can be removed and jimmied up to the factory bit easily.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First - do you need the:
* Sending unit (variable resistor)
* Float (attached to the arm that's attached to the sending unit)
* Pickup (feeds fuel to the engine)
- or some combination thereof?

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one link I posted above is listed specific for Ford, from 1978 thru 2010, so to me, it means I don't have to re-invent the wheel to make the sender work.

Looks like I should be able to rob the sender, clip the one wire and connect it to the existing connection, adjust the new float arm with a new float and have a "rebuilt" sending unit.. for less than the rebuilders charge.

Out of 5 Ford diesel trucks, I only have 3 sending units that function, so 7 failed [two per truck], so I'm looking for an easy and cheap fix option.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i used a 33 gallon gas tank.
with the cooresponding sender.
out of a 89 F350 460 truck
i deleted the fuel pump, and extended the pick up.
deleted the 2 wires from the sending unit to the fuel pump
yellow to yellow and black to black.
i used male and female pin connectors.
works great, and "the bald spot" i had came back with a few refills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online