sending unit or floats

broncobilly_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice a lot of places selling just the floats for the sending units. Anybody ever have a problem with these just going bad or is the problem generally the sending unit itself?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have never had a float go bad, but have had the sending unit on both tanks go. I have replaced them both. The contact on the sending unit on both looked like it had been ground with 40 grit sandpaper. The pickup also breaks off and then only allows you to draw the fuel level down to about 1/4 of a tank or so.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I dunno. The float on my front tank was full of fuel.

The only way to tell, is to pull the sender out and have a lookie.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I've had a float filled with fuel. Comes to find out it was full of spider cracks round the retaining wire on the sending unit.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got two floats if anybody needs them, just pay shipping? ;Sweet

My gague stays at full all the time why?:dunno

:dunno You have lots of money to keep your tanks full.......Or......You never drive itLOL

Most likely the sending unit causing this but could be the gauge too.

Jeff Dodson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pickup also breaks off and then only allows you to draw the fuel level down to about 1/4 of a tank or so.

Ok tell me what it takes to fix this. Both of my tanks, I can onlyrun down to 1/4. I want to fix them but I dont want to leave my truck down, I want to make sure I have all the parts needed. I think I am just going to take the bed off to fix both of them, I dont want to mess with trying to pull the tanks down.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Most guys just add a piece of fuel rated hose to them. With a birds mouth cut. So that they can draw the tank all the way down.
The stock unit has a funky round strainer type doohicky. I can't see it doing any filtering. It'd prolly stop anything larger than a .177 cal pellet.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well if you want to get inside the front tank all you need is a screwdriver and a hammer. Just knock loose the retaining ring and remove the lines and electrical line and pull it out of the tank. NO NEED TO DROP THE FRONT TANK.... Its much easier than I explain here to pull the sending unit from the front tank. Now the rear tank is a real PITA and I wont kid you about that. Just pull the bead for that one.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok tell me what it takes to fix this. Both of my tanks, I can onlyrun down to 1/4. I want to fix them but I dont want to leave my truck down, I want to make sure I have all the parts needed. I think I am just going to take the bed off to fix both of them, I dont want to mess with trying to pull the tanks down.

You can replace the fuel sending unit or just add a piece of rubber tubing, 3/8 inch. I would cut it as was said so you it doesn't suck down against the bottom of the tank. If the gauge is not working properly, you probably will have to buy new sending units.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
if it is the gauge what should i do?

Check and add grounds. Mine looked like a slot machine until I added ground cables. These trucks ground the cab through the engine and through the motor mount bolts. Anyone with a solid state controller can tell you the engine grounds go south. It was the first thing I was told to check when my controller stopped working. I used some 4 gauge cable and made up ground straps. Then, the gauge at least stayed steady, although incorrect as my sending units were also bad.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Well if you want to get inside the front tank all you need is a screwdriver and a hammer. Just knock loose the retaining ring and remove the lines and electrical line and pull it out of the tank. NO NEED TO DROP THE FRONT TANK.... Its much easier than I explain here to pull the sending unit from the front tank. Now the rear tank is a real PITA and I wont kid you about that. Just pull the bead for that one.

But if you got to do them both, pull the bed. If I had to take the back one out, I wouldn't mess with working on the front one from underneath either. I have a dump bed, so both of mine are easy!!!
You must be registered for see images

http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb112_ZNxdm824MCUS&utm_id=7920

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just dropped my rear tank. The float was fine, but the sender looked to be in rough shape. Haha, I just ignored it and stuck it back in--the front sender mostly works. I don't have a dump bed, but a high sitting flatdeck on a 4x4 made it pretty easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online