SEARCH FAILED...

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
no wont work. you can carfully drill out the hole diameter and i think the 7.3s have more head bolts too? :dunno

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone has done it yet, but the locating dowels should keep it lined up (I would use heavier duty or solid ones). The only other issue may be the head bolt length between the 2 may be different?

Same # of bolts for both, just bigger on the 7.3.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
someone here has done it but didnt make a thread about it. he posted it here somewhere. give me a few mins ill find it!

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Fath in law bought an abatement IDI... (qt of oil every 15 miles or so), it has a 7.3 (its an 87 though, thats a head scratcher), and we have two 6.9 motors, one (the better one) is complete minus driver bank head the other, wouldn't fire off ether..... aLOT of ether..

Unsure if its heads are any good.

If his 7.3 heads are good... then logically, we would be desirous to put the 7.3 heads ont he good 6.9 block.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
sorry the info i gave was wrong. it was for a 6.9 head on a 7.3. :eek: guess i got dislexia or something :rotflmao

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Yea,the head bolt holes are say small on the 6.9L.Also the 7.3 has plugs in the head for I think a water jacket that leaked.The dowl pins either get a bolt through them or pass fluid.Can't remember which so solid ones are out.You can make them work if you want to machine on them a little but you can get brand new heads from Alabama Cylinder head for $440 loaded or $335 bare castings each.

https://www.alabamacylinderhead.com/productdetail.php?id=206

https://www.alabamacylinderhead.com/productdetail.php?id=207