Scored at the junkyard today

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went in to get a little plastic piece I broke changing a door handle cable and came out with a wheelbarrow full of stuff. Snagged a tilt column and near perfect leather steering wheel out of a 94, some new weather stripping and door sills and all four AC vents! All of this stuff cost me a grand total of $45! Incidentally all of the trucks I got parts out of were cash for clunkers, some of them in mighty fine shape other than that sodium silicate in the engines.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I didn't know they put sodium silicate in the engine !?!

I wonder how many decent 7.3's were destroyed by Obama's auto-industry-back-scratching scheme???

Good for other parts though, right?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went in to get a little plastic piece I broke changing a door handle cable and came out with a wheelbarrow full of stuff. Snagged a tilt column and near perfect leather steering wheel out of a 94, some new weather stripping and door sills and all four AC vents! All of this stuff cost me a grand total of $45! Incidentally all of the trucks I got parts out of were cash for clunkers, some of them in mighty fine shape other than that sodium silicate in the engines.

Any chance that 94' was a diesel? We are still looking for an air bag equipped 94' IDI instrument cluster.

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt think they put air bags in the heavy duty trucks? But no, no ford diesels at all in the yard i went to. I did almost buy an airbag column because I like the look of the airbag wheel but wasnt sure if the wiring would be the same or not.

I did some reading on the CARS program (clunkers) and the yards can only part out the cars for 180 days then they must be crushed or shredded. the engines are all killed by draining the oil then filling with 2 quarts of sodium silicate and running them till they seize. there are also some "conditions" to selling the rest of the drivetrain, of which I havent been able to figure out.

the way the rebates worked were based on how much more fuel mileage the vehicle you were buying got over the clunker you were trading in. had to be a 10mpg improvement to get the full $4500. So if you traded in your old diesel for a new one you would probably get more for regular trade in value than under the clunkers rebate. I havent seen a diesel in any of the u pull it yards here, they usually go to the parts recyclers that pull the engines and such.

sassyrel

Reaction score
I didn't know they put sodium silicate in the engine !?!

I wonder how many decent 7.3's were destroyed by Obama's auto-industry-back-scratching scheme???

Good for other parts though, right?

all cfc engines were destroyed--

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70