SCORE! 3 storage tanks!

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got 3 free storage tanks today - just for going to pick them up!

They are the 275 gallon cube-style heavy plastic tanks inside a steel cage with a built in ABS pallet underneath and an ABS "deck" on top so they are stackable.

They came with a ball valve with a 1-1/2 inch cam-lock fitting at the bottom on one side and about a 7" screw-off cap in the center on top.

They should work well for storing & transporting veg oil. I'm also thinking of using one as a blending tank for mixing & dispensing my veg oil/RUG blend.

I want to try to install a male air hose nipple in the screw-on cap on top and see if I can get it to hold air pressure. If so I could then fit a hose to the cam-lock/valve assembly at the bottom of the blending tank and make it a dispensing station as well...

Anybody ever try to pressurize one of these?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
What a friggin' score dude. :thumbsup: They go for $150 each here. Do yours need to be cleaned?

Nope, but once I started draining one with the top cap on and a small vacuum occurred so I drilled a pinhole in the top cap and now there is a screw in it to keep it air tight. If yours bursts with pressure are you prepared to clean up 275 gallons of oil? :eek: LOL

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
nice score! ;Sweet me i am just sticking with my 55 gal barrels for now....oohhh well

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a friggin' score dude. :thumbsup: They go for $150 each here. Do yours need to be cleaned?

Nope, but once I started draining one with the top cap on and a small vacuum occurred so I drilled a pinhole in the top cap and now there is a screw in it to keep it air tight. If yours bursts with pressure are you prepared to clean up 275 gallons of oil? :eek: LOL

Yeah, they need to be cleaned, but they had de-ice fluid in them, which is VERY water soluble so they should clean out really easy.

No way I'd try it with 275 gallons oil until I've tried it empty AND with water first! I'm no dummy LOL

I may just use a HF electric pump. They're cheap enough....

If I try the pressurization method, I'll be using a small pressure regulator to start low and work my way up - just to make sure I don't over-pressurize it...

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I get pristine totes here locally for $40.00/pc - the Bay Area is such a rip. Hilarious.

On Craigslist there are people giving them away all the time. I use 55 gallon drums as I'm space limited and can move them around into different configurations in the shop to accommodate whatever floor space I need.

Ultralight

Reaction score
They will only "safely" hold 1-2 PSI without severely bending the top bars. That's enough for 2-3' lift with any flow. There is a lot of pressure there. a 4' square is 2300 square inches so 2PSI is 2 1/2 tons pushing out on each side! I experimented with building a cage around one but I quickly found this to be less economical than just buying a pump. I have one buried in my yard for an oil-burning heater and I pump it up to 4PSI but that only produces about a gallon per minute in a 3/8 line at 6' lift.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I get pristine totes here locally for $40.00/pc - the Bay Area is such a rip. Hilarious.

On Craigslist there are people giving them away all the time. I use 55 gallon drums as I'm space limited and can move them around into different configurations in the shop to accommodate whatever floor space I need.

Yup, a big ripoff. :backoff Obviously nothing has changed since you left. :rolleyes: :mad: I do get free 55 gal drums though...the best there is because they originally had ****** olive oil so no cleaning is ever needed. :thumbsup:

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Yeah and here you thought I was the one ripping everyone off!!!

Cost of living over there is out of control

/threadjack off

Yup, a big ripoff. :backoff Obviously nothing has changed since you left. :rolleyes: :mad: I do get free 55 gal drums though...the best there is because they originally had ****** olive oil so no cleaning is ever needed. :thumbsup:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have 2 of those for hauling water....I've hauled probably 50,000L over the last two summers while I seeded our yard....I want to find another for veg oil storage.

Oilguy

Reaction score
I got 3 free storage tanks today - just for going to pick them up!

They are the 275 gallon cube-style heavy plastic tanks inside a steel cage with a built in ABS pallet underneath and an ABS "deck" on top so they are stackable.

They came with a ball valve with a 1-1/2 inch cam-lock fitting at the bottom on one side and about a 7" screw-off cap in the center on top.

They should work well for storing & transporting veg oil. I'm also thinking of using one as a blending tank for mixing & dispensing my veg oil/RUG blend.

I want to try to install a male air hose nipple in the screw-on cap on top and see if I can get it to hold air pressure. If so I could then fit a hose to the cam-lock/valve assembly at the bottom of the blending tank and make it a dispensing station as well...

One thing to keep in mind... Square want to become round when you start pressuring them up... The seems along the edge are going to blow out with much more than about 5-8 PSI >> You might get lucky for a while but when you have the interior pressure of the fluid in the tank and then add air pressure >>> Have a few paper towels handy.... I tried this with 35 gallon plastic leg tanks and I couldn't get them past 10 psi without something going wrong....
If you want to use pressure >> Get a used Propane cylinder >> They are built for that! I Have a mobile oil change service and I am building a trailer right now that is going to have a bunch a Propane cyl's under pressure and the waste tank under vacuum... I hate pumps! I haven't found ONE that is problem free so I am getting rid of all of them!

Oilguy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin