Saginaw ps pump

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been able to locate a Saginaw bracket for an idi, the question bears what’s the part number to the pump I need that will work with hydroboost? (2 return ports and 1 high pressure port)

There was thread with a part# but it didn’t pull up any obtainable pumps

I’d also love pictures from those who have done this

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The main body/reservoir of a Saginaw pump is just metal tank, so you might be able to drill a hole on the back and add a second return port?

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea most conversions aren’t using Saginaw pumps. You’ll have to mod it like cubey said. For non Saginaw pumps the pumps are the same, you just swap the res.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Saginaw pumps came on the Econolines. But I have not found any with a serpentine belt set up. Doesnt mean they are not out there, I have just never seen one, only V belt set ups.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The Saginaw pumps came on the Econolines. But I have not found any with a serpentine belt set up. Doesnt mean they are not out there, I have just never seen one, only V belt set ups.

I think they dropped Saginaw after 91 when the van body generation changed in 92, but I could be wrong. Probably kept V-belt until 92 also.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've looked at one (thankfully), but I'm pretty sure that GM 6.2/6.5s used to come with Saginaw pumps. They all used hydroboost from what I remember. Maybe a 6.5 or a later 6.2 pump would work?

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've looked at one (thankfully), but I'm pretty sure that GM 6.2/6.5s used to come with Saginaw pumps. They all used hydroboost from what I remember. Maybe a 6.5 or a later 6.2 pump would work?
Do all Saginaws have the same bolt pattern?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I don't know.

The reservoirs and caps seemed to look the same.

The actual pump mechanism itself is mostly bolts to the bracket. the reservoir has a stud on the back for lining it up. Can't remember if it also has a nut on it but probably so.