SAE housing info

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone here understand the SAE 2 and 3 type housings?I did a net search...info is conflicting at best.I noticed a 7.3 being used in a stationary pump yesterday using SAE type housing.From there to what appeared as a modified t19 into the pump.Couldnt get part numbers as I was a guest so to speak at that jobsite.Appears to me that those type of housings would allow almost any trans to be swapped behind a 7.3.Reason for asking is I am considering removing my 4bt and replacing it with a 6.9 I recently found.But I have considerable cash outlay in a 32 spline kingpin 60 and ff 14 bolt with pass drop.Need to stay pass drop and graft a Ford into the mix somehow without a div case.Wouldnt dare take a pic or stick your head near anything on these jobsites anymore...probably air lift me from jobsite now and ban me for life.Gettn almost silly with all the rules now...

Last edited:

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes SAE bell housing are a universal thing. On a pump station like that it probably a Twin-Disc or similar hand clutch set up. Most likely a SAE 2. S-1600 international had these bell housings with the IDI's. If your interested in a 6.9 or 7.3 maybe we could work something out on your truck? I have a couple running ines and a couple i never heard run. And if you do decide to go the route I know of a s1600 in a junk yard near me with an idi. I'd also buy that 4bt for the right money

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have a 5 speed from a 65 f600 fire truck with 13000 original miles that I'm pretty sure is an SAE 2 bell

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
I have the part numbers from international somewhere for the sae 3 housing and adapter ring to step it to sae 2.... I'll try and dig them up tonight... They are expensive as hell tho

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just this summer put a 7.3 into my Motor Home with a SAE 2 bell housing and a SAE 3 adaptor plate to a Allison AT 545 4 speed. Using the SAE bell makes using the stock exhaust manifold tough...because the hit the bell adaptor check out my pic's on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/racer30/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online