Rusty chains

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like a silly question, but does anybody have any thoughts on keeping tow chains clean/sanitary? I borrowed my buddies car hauler and the the drain holes were plugged in the storage chest, which created a soup that looks like something out of a creole cooking show :puke: .

I haven't spent much time fighting rust since my former life in North East Ohio, but I have viewed the sodium carbonate/battery charger video and I am considering doing that to clean them up, but what do you do to keep them nice :confused: ?

As always, any input is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

R. J.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
hook them to the truck, drive down the road. repeated process until all chains are clean

rubberfish

Reaction score
The only thing I've found that keeps them clean
is constant handling. If they sit, they rust up.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
to remove the rust,take a bucket or one of those large storage tubs and fill it with water and washing soda(baking soda also work but not as fast)(1 Table spoon to a gallon) a chunk of iron bar(Cut off peice of Railroad track?) or stainless steel,and a battery charger.Just dump the chains in the water soda solution,hook the ground cable to the chains,and the positive to the rod.Don't allow the chains and rod to touch.Turn it on lowest charge setting and let it work for a day or two.They come out rust free but black.Wash off the sludge and oil the chains very good with WD40 or just for a messy but effective solution dip them in a bucket of cheap motor oil.Just keep them well oiled and you don't have to worry about rust.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Put them on and drive it in the sand or dirt road it. Them WD40 will help.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
unless they are coated i dont think anything you do will keep the rust away. you could try spray painting them after you clean them up but it wont hold up where they rub together.

i just try to keep them dry and plan on getting dirty if i break them out.

i like using good tow straps but i swear those things just look for a place or edge to snag and rip. i get up to two usages per strap with my luck.:rolleyes: much cleaner and easier (much less violent jurking) though when i do use straps.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
All I know is I never handeled a clean chain ,unless it is in regular use.Drag them around a sandy area to clean them.I have thought of dipping them in an epoxy paint ,but it could only be temporary.My chains havent been used since July 2005 and they are nasty-real nasty ,and I have a bunch of them so when a soulution is found call me. :) And you sure don't want to be using oily chains.:(

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Diesel! My dad has always left his tire chains in a bucket of diesel for the summer. They are always nice to put back in the truck at the start of the winter. I did it last year and it is good. Just hang to drip dry before putting them in the truck.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, I have a couple of thoughts of my own, including covering them in lay-flat woven fire hose after cleaning them up. This should make them easy to handle and keep them from gouging anything they go around/rub against.

Stay tuned

R. J.

93_E_350

7.3 IDI NA
Reaction score
For my new ice fishing tools I had always heated them up and coated them with candle wax. Even the cheap made in China needle nose pliers still work after 30 years. Once the chain is cleaned get a can big enough to hold the chain and put it in or on a fire pit or grill until hot then try throwing in a couple of candles. When the wax melts pull the can off the fire and swish the chain around until its coated then stretch it out in the grass until it cools off. Should keep it fairly nice for a few years…

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online