Running WMO

tbiagent69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen references to running WVO and WMO on the forums... Ovbiously WVO means waste vegetable oil, and I've heard of people running it before... When people talk about running WMO, are they referring to waste motor oil? As in... change your oil and throw it in the fuel tank? If so, I have plenty of that laying around :D Is there anything special I need to do or mix with it to be able to run?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
50/50 mix is about as high as most go with it, word of advice, it stinks some. You will save money on the fuel but the waste motor oil even filtered does have metals in it that You won't be able to filter and to some extent damage Your fuel system.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
I've used an old t-shirt, doubled over a few times as a filter. Just pour thru the t-shirt to strain out the gunk. Some use a pair of jeans. No matter what you use, just filter as best you can then throw it in the tank with a 50/50 blend of diesel. I've been burning wmo in all my diesel trucks I've ever owned, saves on the fuel bill. I'm not making any gaurentee's that you wont have any problems down the road, I haven't but then again I buy and sell trucks quite often. Everyone has their own opinion and theory as to whether its safe or not to run wmo thru your engine. Do what you feel comfortable doing. Me....well, I'm gonna keep on burning wmo and anything else that these old idi's will ingest and burn, so long as it has lubrication for the IP pump.

Hope this helps.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put oil in a clear tank to separate any water and sludge. Then pump the oil into a tank that I pressurize with air and force the oil through old 6 micron fuel filters. After that I add 10-15% rug to thin the oil a little. Now it's ready for use in my truck.
I start on diesel then switch over to the tank containing wmo when the truck warms up. If I'm driving in town during the day I prefer to run on diesel instead of wmo because of all the idling at traffic lights. This is because my turbo isn't boosting and the exhaust is a little blue. I show no smoke at highway speeds. My elevation is 4400 feet which could also have influence on my idling exhaust. I say this because I was just north of sacramento idling on the side of the road while disconnecting a driveline on a mercedes parts car and my tailpipe showed no smoke.

A centrifuge is on my wish list and I'm thinking the better filtration will solve the minor smoke at idle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online