Running rough and smoking

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well on my way home from **** depot today, my truck started shaking and running rough. I got home and the first thing I looked for was a broken injector line since I have had this issue before, but there was no visual issues.

So I drove out to the shop and made sure the pump nuts didnt loosen up and the pump moved. It had not.
I turned on my carrier pump and checked for fuel at the schrader valve, there was plenty
Then I moved on to cracking injector lines while it was running. Each time I opened one, it lowered RPM a little and ran worse. Each cyl sounded the same.

So is this an injector pump issue?

This engine has 150k miles, I just got it in the truck about 2 months ago. The P.O. thought it had had a pump before he got the truck but he was not sure.

I have heard new injectors with an old pump can accelerate the pumps death. Is this true?

tham

1994 F250 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me a couple of months ago and it ended up being the IP. Had to have it rebuilt. How much fuel did you have when you cracked the lines

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not much fuel out of the injector lines, but I did not open them up much. just enough to release the pressure so the injectors wouldnt pop

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Feel around under the pump for a wet spot near the weep hole.. that would be a sign of a failing pump to. How are the morning starts? any air intrusion issues?

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The morning starts have been good. havent plugged it in yet. Injectors, and return kit are new from Russ, also have the carrier pump

I didnt feel around under the pump but I did look and the valley pan was dry.

Also I pulled the 90* return fitting on the pump, it was not all full of black sh** either.

Im stumped on this so far.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When was the filter last changed. Its cheaper than a pump but a waste of money if its a newer filter. If you feel the timing has changed because of the pump being of unknown age try advanceing it but... Place a center punch mark in the joint between the pump and the gear housing joint. Then move the pump. If you don't like how it runs the marks can be alinged up again easy. Just move the pump till you have a circle center punch mark again... Really simple way to reset the timing to what it was before you started working on it...

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Gary, I have the pump as far advanced as I can get it with a 3/4 wrench. It doesnt seem to be that far advanced, but its hard to turn, would loosening some lines on the pump help to gain a little more rotation?

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and the fuel filter is a new 1 piece from napa that I put on when I did the engine swap less then 2 months ago.

tham

1994 F250 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
If the truck was running ok and now it is not and you advanced it and it didnt help sounds like a bad IP. Do you know anyone with a spare IP you could use.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Try running some atf in the next tank of fuel. If the advance plunger is sticking that may free it up. Yes, loosening up the easy to get at injector lines at the pump will ease the turning of the pump. Just three or four lines is al it will take. I have done this before and it works fine.

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay Ill have to give it a little more advancement. Ill dose it up with atf and give it hell. See what happens. I would love to not have to throw a pump at this. Although part of me wants a new pump anyway. the MPGs have been down there with this engine.

If I do have to put a pump on, I will be in touch about renting a timing meter.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Did you check the weep hole yet? Or the engine oil level as the pump could dump fuel down the front timing cover and flood your crankcase if it decides not to go through the weep hole

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check the weep hole yet? Or the engine oil level as the pump could dump fuel down the front timing cover and flood your crankcase if it decides not to go through the weep hole

valley pan was dry and the oil level was normal.

I didnt have time to get out and screw with it today. Had to go plow a few drives. Plus I couldnt leave it in the shop at the farm because one of the semis needed serviced. and its like 1* with the windchill here so its way too cold to go out and mess with this thing. Although I really need to get it fixed, because I def dont miss driving this gasser....

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well guys, yesterday I went out and switched pumps from my old engine to the "new" one. After firing it up there was a little less smoke but still running rough... *** so I thought screw it and got a fuel filter and changed that. No change... *** x2. I had it out of the shop running with the air box off, I could hear a little chuffing sound threw the turbo, using the heater hose to the ear I determined it was on the drivers side. So I pulled the ds valve cover and found the very front rocker bolt was only about 3 turns from being completely out:eek: And the rocker was up about 1/4 inch off the pedestal.

This was the same rocker set that gave me trouble when assembling the motor, but it pumped up with oil pressure before I got it running. Everything passed visual inspection with no wear on the rockers or pushrods, So I ran a bottoming tap with grease on it down that pedestal, brake cleaned it and blew it out with the air hose. I tightened them up and checked all the others. All were good except the one. I went and got valve cover gaskets and oil for an oil change this morning. Im in class now till noon, then Ill have it up and going again.

I am 99% sure this was the problem I was having and I will report back for sure if this was the cause. Although it mite not be till tonight. its snowing like hell and Ill be busy plowing.
Thanks for the help fellow OB. And remember this thread as a last ditch effort if your truck is missing just a little.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle