runaway engine

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i had to remove the cover on the ip, because the advance solenoid wasnt workin. my question is, if i encounter a runaway engine when i start it how do i choke out the motor while its running. i dont have a standard trans so thats out of the picture lol. im pretty sure that i have the cover back on right but am preparing for the worst. lots of ideas would be great. thanks.

sootman73

Reaction score
i remember doing such a thing when i was playin around with my 6.2l a couple years back! scariest thing ever when you have no idea what is happening nor how to stop it. the best thing to get is a board with a smooth surface(not osb cuz of chips gettin sucked off of it) you wanna plug the intake so it doesn't get any air, therefore ending the compression. have it ready because its really loud and it doesn't take long to do some damage!

(oh btw cracked my block, stretched and twisted a rod, and ripped a wrist pin out the bottom of the piston!)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps take the suck side off the lift pump....then install a hose to a Gerry can and if it happens remove the fuel line from the lift pump. NO Fuel NO Runny no mo:D

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the idea of a smooth clean board to slap over the intake. I would even take the screen off from under the air cleaner as you'll need to to get a seal. Also if you have a rubber fuel return line to the top of the injection pump instead of the hard steel line you could clamp it off and over pressurize the hydraulic head, that too would shut it off. Also cutting the fuel supply line will cut the engine off even in a runaway.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's an idea. When you start it the first time, have the air cleaner completely off and out of the way, but make sure the the screen over the intake opening is in place. Have a heavy plastic bag - like a 1 gallon freezer bag - and a hand towel handy. Fold up the hand towel 2 or 3 layers thick to where it is just small enough to fit inside the plastic bag.

Then, if it starts to try to runaway, slap the bag with the towel in it flat onto the intake opening. It'll suck down tight onto the intake screen - cutting off the air flow and killing the engine...

I'd think that using any kind of board would be hit or miss on getting a good enough seal to cut off the airflow completely. You sure don't want to risk the kind of engine damage Sootman describes...

Last edited:

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps take the suck side off the lift pump....then install a hose to a Gerry can and if it happens remove the fuel line from the lift pump. NO Fuel NO Runny no mo:D

That might be another good idea. Though I'd be afraid that the amount of fuel in the lift pump, IP, and hoses might let it run long enough to do some real damage. The IP only pushes tiny amounts of fuel - literally only a couple of drops - per cylinder per revolution...

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the "rag and bag" idea. :D ;Sweet

In all honesty, I've looked at it pretty good, and you have to be a real knucklehead to get the top cover on wrong. It's very difficult to get the shut off lever behind the govenor linkage where it doesn't belong. Another option (and this may sound silly but would work) would be to put some short bolts without heads in the top cover bolt holes to use as retaining pins after you slide the cover on, and then have an assistant start the truck and shut it off while you press down on the cover. If the engine runs away, you can just pull the cover off and it will idle right back down and you can kill it with your finger on the innards. You would need an clip lead to ground the top cover for you since the bolt heads are missing. Yes, there would be fuel going everywhere thanks to the fan if you had to pull it off, otherwise it shouldn't leak. It takes very little to seal it as there is no real presure on that side of the pump if the cold advance is on.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score

If you have a true "RUNAWAY" the only way to stop it will be with a shirt, bag or something to stop the air. Cutting off the fuel will work if you catch it in time. Even if you cut off the fuel & it gets running hot enough it will start burning the oil as fuel. The old 2 stroke Detroits would do it time to time.

fordcord

Reaction score
choke the intake. a blown oil seal in the turbo can pump oil into the engine and it will run till it blows or runs out of oil to burn. the only way to save it is to starve it for air

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gee thanks sootman for the insight, now i think ill just go ahead and haul it to the junkyard before i even try to start it LOL. man i tell you i realy dont want to toast the engine thats for sure. if i put a picture on here could someone verify if the vss j arm is in the right spot? doesnt the vss j arm go on the (left side) of the two metal tab on the metering valve?
You must be registered for see images attach

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
The best way to stop a runaway diesel is to remove the oxygen. Unload a BIG CO2 fire extinguisher into the intake. CO2 extinguisher has no residue only CO2. When in doubt, just have one of those on hand (a big one!)
Ken

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Plywood with a handle is the best on the intake, fail-safe.....Make sure you put a handle on it so you can grab it easily if needed.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as i understand it these injection pumps are just like the 6.2's - and the trick when replacing the top cover is to move the cover about 2/3 of the way too far forward, then set it down on the pump, then slide it back into place. This will allow the solenoid to shut off the fuel supply correctly, whereas if you just drop the cover straight down in place then the solenoid will not work.
You can test to see if you have it right by turning the ignition on and off several times and listen for the clicking sound.
Someone please correct me if i am wrong about this - but i know that is how the 6.2 pumps work.
And have the board handy when you start it.

paul

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
Get a gallon size ziploc bag. Leave it empty and just flat. Take the air cleaner off. There should be a metal mesh over the intake manifold hole. If it starts to run drop that bag over the hole. I was shocked out of my gord to see how fast it brings that big IDI to a halt. I do not suggest ANYTHING in the bag as long as that metal screen is still in the intake. No chance for the bag to not suck down flat if it is empty. I did the same thing you had to do and so I was worried too. It is hard to screw up though.

Calvin