Rough running at low speeds after tank fill up of diesel

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Lately, twice, after filling the tank (I only run on the front, rear does not work) my engine runs rough nearly stalling, If I keep the revs up she keeps running and after a little while this goes away.

Is this a sign of impending doom? Any ideas on what I should look at?

This my 1983

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
when was the last time you did fuel filters

First time it happened I cleaned the Carrier screen and changed the filter, filled filter with ATF, problem was gone by then so I thought that fixed it but now its back. First time was about a month ago, I have not been driving much lately.

Its just happening after a fill up, I do fill up until it clicks off twice

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Sounds like you are sucking air somewhere. How low do you run your tank before filling?

I fill up every two weeks or so from known local stations (A small local chain), I am not ruling out air intrusion but since its an intermittent problem I am thinking its not air which would be all the time?

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
You didn't really answer my question. Lol
I'm thinking that if you are running it below 1/4 tank before filling you may be sucking air. Common problem and that's what your symptoms are pointing me to: air in the system.

Do you ever have any weird noises when you take the filler cap off? Pops, bangs, air escaping, etc.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
You didn't really answer my question. Lol
I'm thinking that if you are running it below 1/4 tank before filling you may be sucking air. Common problem and that's what your symptoms are pointing me to: air in the system.

Do you ever have any weird noises when you take the filler cap off? Pops, bangs, air escaping, etc.

Sorry, I did get it wrong, I fill up at 1/2 a tank as I do run out at 1/4 tank (Showerhead problem), its never been under 1/2 a tank for a long time. I do not hear any weird noises when I remove the filler cap.