rotunda 78-0100 time a 6.9?

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will this model completely time a 6.9? Or does it need additional tools to complete the job?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you watching these on ebay? There are 2 of them, I'd like to hear about if these will work by themselves. Which one are you watching/bidding on?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at them, it is hard to tell if either has the hollow glass filled glow plug. Both are worthless without it. The one is definitely in better shape then the other, and both appear otherwise complete. The messy looking one has a discoloration on one of the meters that makes me wonder if it is ruined.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought these were the pulse type timing meters.... are they luminosity instead? If it is missing, is a replacement still available? Thanks,
J.D.

snatchal

Reaction score
I have a bid in on the model 78-0200. The add says it is "new"??? I sure hope that it is complete. If not could it be used with the ferret sensor ?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
78-0200 is the one for the 7.3...so it's definitely a pulse type timing machine. Maybe it doesn't need a probe like these others.

mainiac

Reaction score
I have the 78-0100 that came from Rotunda with the luminosity and the pulse method. It was to be used for both the 6.9 and 7.3.
I use a probe from snap-on, you can't get the lumy probe from rotunda or ford, they will laugh at you..trust me.
The snap-on #mt161 (costs about 200 bucks) probe is the one needed for these units. The mt160 would be used for the chevy Sh%$box diesel. I might have these 2 part numbers transposed, so do your homework.

Be careful, lorieandjeff are alright sellers on ebay, but they don't have a clue how this thing works or what should come with the unit. Watch out for the led displays, they might not be legible if there is the slightest imperfection on the windows.

Good luck!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man...so the snap on is compatible with it if I need it? How about using a pulse adapter instead of the luminosity probe?

mainiac

Reaction score
Are you talking about an adapter to use an inductive timing light?
I never got the pulse method to work with my meter, I think it was due to the 7.3 having some other electrical hookup that the 6.9 didn't.

Just note the cost of the probe, if I had the knowledge that I have now, about my timing meter, I would have bought a snap-on meter.
I paid 150 for my meter and then the probe was 190ish.

Good luck

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I THINK I'm talking about is a pulse adapter which clips around the #1 or #4 injection line and measures the injection timing there based on pulse instead of the luminosity probe that screws into the GP hole. This is an area, however where my knowledge is weak, and I will be showing more ignorance than knowledge. So if I am wrong about how the 7.3 timing works, someone who knows should correct me.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
What I THINK I'm talking about is a pulse adapter which clips around the #1 or #4 injection line and measures the injection timing there based on pulse instead of the luminosity probe that screws into the GP hole. This is an area, however where my knowledge is weak, and I will be showing more ignorance than knowledge. So if I am wrong about how the 7.3 timing works, someone who knows should correct me.

Snap-On still makes the pulse adapter that you use with a timing light. The model number is MT257B. I tried to use the older version of this with no luck, but it could have been my timing light. Be aware that's a $300 tool. For that much you can get the right tool in pretty good condition--with a little patience.

The MT480 and MT1480 meters are lumy type meters. If you are watching one, make sure it has the lumy adapter for the GP hole. Otherwise it is useless. I was taken when I bought one that was "complete" for $90 a while back. That little adapter, can't remember if we need the MT160 or 161, is still obtainable from Snap-On. For the small fee of $220. An MT480 sold on Ebay 3weeks ago that had both adapters (rare) for $190. That's high for that meter, but when you consider it had $400 worth of adapters...I bid up to $150 and quit.

Tom

mainiac

Reaction score

I thought you were talking of the adapter that utilizes a gasser timing light, they do exist, never used one.
The 78-0100 that I have can do both pulse and luminosity.

mainiac

Reaction score
The MT480 and MT1480 meters are lumy type meters. If you are watching one, make sure it has the lumy adapter for the GP hole. Otherwise it is useless. I was taken when I bought one that was "complete" for $90 a while back. That little adapter, can't remember if we need the MT160 or 161, is still obtainable from Snap-On. For the small fee of $220. An MT480 sold on Ebay 3weeks ago that had both adapters (rare) for $190. That's high for that meter, but when you consider it had $400 worth of adapters...I bid up to $150 and quit.

Tom

Do you read all posts?

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Do you read all posts?

Yep. Pretty much. I was simply throwing out that IF he was looking at a meter that was a lumy only, to be careful that all the pieces/parts were there. And that the pulse adapters for timing lights do not always work as advertised. I realize he was talking about a Rotunda. Same concept applies.

Tom

Last edited:

snatchal

Reaction score
Damn it! Had my bid set at 112.50 on the rotunda 78-0200. Even came home early from work to catch the end of the bidding. Had about 10 minutes left till the end of the auction so i came over here to read some posts and kill some time....too much time. Got back 2 minutes after the bidding was over. Someone else snagged the meter for $126.05.:mad:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin