Rotella

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is another thread here that deals with an individual who is looking for an oil where he currently lives, so instead of hijacking his , I'll start mine. Has anyone ever had any issues with Rotella? I know we ran it for years at the quarry in all of our CAT equipment, with no issue. Now I'm hearing how much better Mobil Delvac is . I remember I had a 7.3 IDI that used A LOT of oil and I switched to Chevron Delo LE and it used considerably less, but now I'm hearing its no good for older engines due to the lack of zddp. I was always told oil is oil just as long as you keep it changed. Stuff seems to have changed a lot over the years though . Reason is I have a newer 7.3 I'm getting
ready to swap in to my truck that only has 93,??? Miles on it. If I was to guess I'd say its had Rotella all its life , but I don't know. Just looking for some advice .

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just about all the oils are being re-formulated for the newer diesels due to the emmisions. I guess the only oil to use now is synthetic.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotella T Synthetic == good, Rotella dino = bad
I haven't looked in a while but I saw some Delo 400 well after 400LE came out, so maybe it's still around by special order. I saw it at redwood oil in ukiah, ca.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing....if I switch to full synthetic , can I bump my oil changes up from 5,000 to 10,000 miles? And is the motorcraft partial syn oil any good ?

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chevron claims that the 400LE contains new additive compounds which make it as good as 400.
An oil analysis shows that the 400LE contains less of the elements known to reduce engine wear, especially in old engines.
I know of no actual comparison where identical engines were tortured with both oils.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I guess I'd be just as well to go to a full synthetic or Rotella T synthetic when I get her going. Reason I'm so concerned with this is I'm adding a turbo , and I don't want to have to rebuild this one for a long time ......long long time

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would put full synthetic in any engine that's not leaking or otherwise using excessive oil. It's not that much more expensive and it's better in a number of ways, including longevity, heat tolerance, and ability to cling to metal.

I think I've finally got my F250 to the point where I can put oil in it without leaking any, so it might get it next change.

Synthetic oil is horrible stuff to leak into the landscape. Way, way worse than dino juice.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha heard that , I guess that would extend my oil changes out to 10,000 miles instead of 5,000 ?

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. One day in the middle of telling LMJD where he could go and what he could do I realized that there were other forums and they might well actually be better than that one. Literally the only person I miss from over there is Mark K.

edit: that is, that isn't also here :D

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I ain't been over there in awhile . I kind of lost interest when they pretty much told me it was stupid and wouldn't work to put a garret GTP38 from a '95 power stroke on a 7.3 IDI. I said B.S. I've seen it done too many times ...not with a GTP38 but with others like what 91dirtydiesel has with a HE351VGT

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance