Rookie 4wd Questions

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have done quite a bit of off roading with 2wd vehicles over the years. I finally got this truck and I am loving the IDI and the possibilities with the 4wd. I just had a few questions:

1: With the hubs locked, can you switch back and forth from 2wd to 4wd high on the fly or do you need to stop 1st? :dunno

2: If i am not mistaken it doesn't hurt it to run with the hubs locked, it just causes more drag, wear, lower mileage. Is that correct? :confused:

I know how to drive it off road, just the operation of the transfer case is where the questions are.

This forum was highly recommended to me soon after I got the truck and after a few months of reading and searching I definitely know why. Any information will be a great help.

Thanks, Alan

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
With the hubs locked in, you can shiift from 2 HIGH to 4 HIGH "on the fly". I believe you have to depress the clutch while shifting it though (been awhile since I had a manual). In order to shift to 4 LOW, the truck will need to be stopped.

I run with my hubs locked in most of the winter just in case I need to quickly shift into 4WD.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I have never had any problems shifting from 2HI-4HI or vise verser while moving:dunno but i would atempt to try it when going to 4LO

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1: With the hubs locked, can you switch back and forth from 2wd to 4wd high on the fly or do you need to stop 1st? :dunno

As the others said, you can switch from 2WD to 4WD High on the fly without stopping, as long as the hubs are already locked.. You do not need to depress the clutch. You DO need to come to a complete stop before shifting into 4WD LOW or into and out of Neutral (in the transfer case).

2: If i am not mistaken it doesn't hurt it to run with the hubs locked, it just causes more drag, wear, lower mileage. Is that correct? :confused:
That's correct. You can leave the hubs locked permanently if you want. The only side-effects are lower fuel economy, more wear and tear on the front end, and you'll have some difficulty turning tightly because the U-joints will try to lock up when the steering wheel's turned to either stop.

Hope that helps :) good luck!! And WELCOME ABOARD!!

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and the info. This is the most informative site I have found so far. As I learn I too will try to be a help.
:thanks:
Alan

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welcome, actually it is a good idea to lock your hubs in every now and then especially if you do not use four wheel drive a lot it will help lube the components.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I am only saying this because I have seen an idiot do it, don't to try shift fron 2 Hi to 4 Hi while the rear tires are spinning. His truck made a loud pop, but it actually went went into 4wd.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found that I can shift my transfer case from low to high while driving if I let off the pedal while attempting the shift. It makes a bit of a clank, but will do it consistently. I have an automatic, and heard of guys doing this with manual transmissions too. Once in a while type of deal since its not even needed in most cases.

The most harmless way to shift from low range to high range (and vice versa) is at a complete stop with the transmission in neutral (clutch in for manual). Something to be aware of with automatics is if you leave the transmission and transfer case in neutral for too long, the output shaft of the auto transmission WILL spin. This means that minor grinding cannot be helped when you finally decide to put the transfer case back into gear. Best to go strait through neutral as fast as the lever will allow if you don't like those sounds.

For shifting between 2H and 4H, you can do it anytime you like as long as the hubs are locked and both axles are spinning at the same speed.

To unlock the hubs make sure to back the truck up in a strait line for a few feet or they may not release. Its also possible only one side will release causing a slight pull to that side of the truck. That pull will not be slight if you have a limited slip differential up front.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, I am only saying this because I have seen an idiot do it, don't to try shift fron 2 Hi to 4 Hi while the rear tires are spinning. His truck made a loud pop, but it actually went went into 4wd.

I am a professional Truck driver with many years of snow experience. We have "locking axles" and one of the first things you learn is to never attempt to lock them during a "spinout". This will more often than not demolish the gear cluster and freeze up the axle, So thanks for the clarification it makes a lot of sense. ;Sweet

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance