Rocker arm question

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I was putting the rockers back on the heads yesterday and looked at the ones I had for the 6.9. The trunions are aluminum bridges and they have about 1/8'' worn down. Flipped the rocker over and all of them have wear marks they make contact with the valve.

I had a set of 7.3 rockers that I got off of a guy that made a cummins swap. There were a few of mine that were the updated ones too. About 4 of the 7.3 ones have damage to the tip where the valve contacts.

I pulled them apart and hit the trunion with a scotch pad knocking the metal down where the rocker had been stopping with the previous cam. Since my cam is larger, the travel will be longer. I also smoothed down the valve contact area and thought there should be some sort of hole to oil the valve tip.

Anyone ever done this? Is there a problem with the way I smoothed the valve contact area down. It was less than 1/32'' so there SHOULD be enough preload in the lifter...espically since the trunions were knocked down so much on the 6.9 trunions.

Problems?

SWS

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know the answer to your original question but Rock Auto has the arms new.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
penndiesel can get new rockers
the 1/32 idk sounds like thered be no issues its less than a 600k engine would wear
id say youre work is fine
but i think theres a difference in the arms iirc so id run all from one motor

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin