Right way to adjust idle speed

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't own a IDI diesel before or even another diesel engine, so i don't know where to adjust the idle speed. Does it have to be adjusted from the injection pump or can i just turn the screw near where the accelerator cable is attached on the engine side. Tried to search this forum, but didn't find solution.

Truck is running fine at idle, but the problem is my new smf kit from centerforce. It is making very loud noise on idle, but when i push the accelerator pedal and raise the rpm about 50-100 rpm, then almost all the noise dissapears.

Thanks...

high psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically the idle adjustment is to be made inside the pump, however if you are only looking to change the RPM by 50-100 you should be OK using the screw on the throttle shaft right near where the cable hooks on. Just try not to go much more than 1-2 full turns.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Truck is running fine at idle, but the problem is my new smf kit from centerforce. It is making very loud noise on idle, but when i push the accelerator pedal and raise the rpm about 50-100 rpm, then almost all the noise dissapears.

Thanks...

What you are hearing is not the flywheel but your tranny. That is why Ford used the DMF

Jim

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, i know that smf can't make that noise, but it is the reason for it and it's kind of irratating. Other than the noise at idle there's no problems with the conversion. My dmf was in one piece after 130 000 miles, but it started to shake and make noise when shutting down and that's why i changed it.

BTW. What is the main reason that i shouldn't turn the screw on the throttle body more than a 1-2 full turns? What is the worst thing that can happen for example if i turn it like 10 turns. Haven't done it, but what could happen?

And if the right way to adjust idle is from IP, is there some kind of instructions somewhere how it can be done?

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just turned the screw on the throttle body for a 3/4 tighter and that's all i need. Noise from the tranny almost dissapeared and finally i'm happy to the smf conversion...

Thanks to who replied....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86