Rides like a 1971 Plymouth Fury lll

IDIDually

Reaction score
I‘m really in the need to replace all four of my shocks. Truck rides way to nice, squishy and squats a lot with an empty trailer. It’s a 2 wheel drive dually. It should ride like a dually truck. Well that’s my thinking.
I’m looking for suggestions on inexpensive heavy duty shocks. I tow a 18‘ and a 20’ bumper pull utility trailers Daily. So a little more Stability and beefiness should help with the handling and ride. I don‘t care to much for a squishy riding truck. Maybe it’s just me. Thanks in advance.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran bilsteins for a while, but found them too stiff on the rear. Front was ok with the weight of the engine.

Your truck is probably heavier than mine all around, so those may work fine for you. I hear ranchos are comparable for stiffness but less expensive.

In the end, I went with motorcraft shocks from rockauto.com and love them. Although, I happen to like the smoother ride. Less wear & tear on me and the truck. I can pretty much ignore speedbumps if I want to, and it also makes for a better ride when on gravel roads.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my Bilstien HD's. Got them on all 4 corners, they last a very long time. There are cheaper options but not a lot better ones. For the heavy front end of these diesels and towing daily they would be perfect.

They won't keep the rear from squatting much with a load though, that's up to your springs and related hardware.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I‘m really in the need to replace all four of my shocks. Truck rides way to nice, squishy and squats a lot with an empty trailer. It’s a 2 wheel drive dually. It should ride like a dually truck. Well that’s my thinking.
I’m looking for suggestions on inexpensive heavy duty shocks. I tow a 18‘ and a 20’ bumper pull utility trailers Daily. So a little more Stability and beefiness should help with the handling and ride. I don‘t care to much for a squishy riding truck. Maybe it’s just me. Thanks in advance.
Some thoughts
1) Tire pressure has a lot to do with how ”stiff“ the truck rides. Higher pressure = less forgiving on bumps and pot holes
2) Tired shocks let the truck bounce longer after a bump. (Maybe 2-4 times vs 1 time when working.
3) Standard shocks do not keep your truck from squatting with weight in the back. But there are some that can help.
4) Air bags with a on board compressor are the best for ride leveling and when loaded for more stability. They squeeze between the axle and frame acting like additional leaf springs.

You mention cheap shocks -
Monroe makes decent shocks that can be used for ride leveling. You use these in the back and same family of shock for the front. The fronts will be standard looking shocks.

1) Monroe Gas shocks with a Ryobi hand held compressor (Or what ever compressor you want.) would allow you to help with squatting. Load up, fill shocks with more air till you like the ride height.

2) Monroe has a coil over shock that does not require adjustment. It will help with squatting but when your truck is empty and not towing raise the bed a couple inches. Compensates for about 1,100 lbs of weight.

3) Air bags are the bomb but you will still need shocks since yours are done. The below is just an example, do your research as far as brand and fit. Also do the onboard compressor with the raise (Fill) and lower (Let’s air out) switch under the dash. These are awesome for towing heavy loads.

Or just do the Motorcraft or standard Monroes if you don’t want to spend a bundle.

papadiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bilstien change is more than worth it (the yellow 4100's I believe). Did not want to pay that much, but finally found a deal on line for all around 189.00. Been on for 2 years, would not change a thing!!! 1989 Ford F250 7.3 4x4 HD

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a guy who comes from a long line of Ford truck operators, I would like to point out that these trucks are gloriously equiped with the blessed "twin "I" beam" front suspension. If you look that up from when it was introduced in the mid '60s you will find that the slogan was, "rides like a car, works like a truck". And knowing now what they didn't know then, " it cups the crap out of the passenger side front tire".

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I put Monroe Gas-Magnum RV shocks in the rear (it's what I could afford, about $50/each in mid 2019). They're better than the worn out original USA made Motorcraft shocks it had that were totally shot, however.

I want to go back and put Bilstein shocks on the rear eventually. Or maybe just go for air bags since it's always a high profile, heavily loaded vehicle and would probably benefit from them.

I put Bilsteins on the front (about $100/each) in early 2020, and it improved that a lot too... but anything would have been better. The RH front shock wasn't even attached to the upper bracket anymore, due to the nut being missing. The shock was stuck completely compressed too.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online