Resurrecting a $900 1986 with 7.3idi swap. Fuel?

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First start up!

But, now there’s this to figure out. All the “oil” that was in the truck is now on the ground.

At first it looked like it was leaking from the oil filter, but it looks like it’s leaking somewhere above. Oil cooler, maybe?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 092585A4-B0A5-4EE4-9075-3C3B206576CB.jpeg
    092585A4-B0A5-4EE4-9075-3C3B206576CB.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 6

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it running! That oil looks milky. Maybe condensation or rain water?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Get that oil changed out ASAP and don't run the engine any more with that oil in it. Hopefully that's just rain water and not the reason why the coolant level was low.

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First start up!

But, now there’s this to figure out. All the “oil” that was in the truck is now on the ground.

At first it looked like it was leaking from the oil filter, but it looks like it’s leaking somewhere above. Oil cooler, maybe?
That's great man! My thoughts are the that the heat exchanger is comprised and you have oil and water mixing.
Glad to hear you got it running! That oil looks milky. Maybe condensation or rain water?

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great ideas guys, these are good areas to look into if the new oil gets contamination.

Today I pressure washed the underside and then went up to Tractor Supply Co and picked up one of their Rotella 15w-40 2.5 gal @ $39.99 online advertised pricing.

Shoot, not indoors it wasn’t! They up charged to $59.99 on the shelf for the same blue bottle! So I quickly ordered it online while I sat on a 5 gallon bucket.

Then I drained the replacement oil from the truck last night I put in about 5-7 quarts of replacement oil from previous oil changes mixed with new straight weight and partially used new oil. I just wanted to run it with the replacement oil and see what happened.)

More grey oil. It’s probably just remnants of the old bad stuff.

I’ll put in the new oil and run it around the neighborhood a couple times and then drain it to check the status of the oil.

No new pictures of the truck but I was playing around with some customizable license plates and I think this one is pretty S tier

More to come. Thanks all

Attachments

• 88B635BC-CC3F-40FC-A20E-9378EF98DAFF.png
    88B635BC-CC3F-40FC-A20E-9378EF98DAFF.png
    425.5 KB · Views: 11

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Jesus Freak I think the “OIL,MMM” license plate is more appropriate for your truck
No one would understand. I've tried to get anyone interested in WMO and I just get..."the look". I was pumping out a IBC tote at a shop and everyone asked what I was doing and then to explain and they were like......"oh..... that's neat" and I'm like "yeah, at $5 a gallon your boss is giving me a bigger pay check than you and I ain't gotta deal with him" but I guess they think it's a "fad" or that you have to have a flux capacitor and generate 1.3 gigawatts before accelerating to 88mph before you engage the oil consumption device when all you gotta do is filter it good and drive it hard......... like any good mechanic.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great ideas guys, these are good areas to look into if the new oil gets contamination.

Today I pressure washed the underside and then went up to Tractor Supply Co and picked up one of their Rotella 15w-40 2.5 gal @ $39.99 online advertised pricing.

Shoot, not indoors it wasn’t! They up charged to $59.99 on the shelf for the same blue bottle! So I quickly ordered it online while I sat on a 5 gallon bucket.

Then I drained the replacement oil from the truck last night I put in about 5-7 quarts of replacement oil from previous oil changes mixed with new straight weight and partially used new oil. I just wanted to run it with the replacement oil and see what happened.)

More grey oil. It’s probably just remnants of the old bad stuff.

I’ll put in the new oil and run it around the neighborhood a couple times and then drain it to check the status of the oil.

No new pictures of the truck but I was playing around with some customizable license plates and I think this one is pretty S tier

More to come. Thanks all
No one would understand. I've tried to get anyone interested in WMO and I just get..."the look". I was pumping out a IBC tote at a shop and everyone asked what I was doing and then to explain and they were like......"oh..... that's neat" and I'm like "yeah, at $5 a gallon your boss is giving me a bigger pay check than you and I ain't gotta deal with him" but I guess they think it's a "fad" or that you have to have a flux capacitor and generate 1.3 gigawatts before accelerating to 88mph before you engage the oil consumption device when all you gotta do is filter it good and drive it hard......... like any good mechanic.
Haha, & then you can really confuse them after the conversation if they see you drive away with a “Zero Emissions” sticker

Attachments

• 2157D3F7-6137-4703-815E-4784A7AA21F5.jpeg
    2157D3F7-6137-4703-815E-4784A7AA21F5.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 3

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id love to have that type of acess to wmo id prbly buy a centrafuge

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online