resinator removel project.

Meta6981

Reaction score
In attempts to redeem myself from my first post i want to share about the project i will be working on. I will be removing the resinators off of my 81 sd. Hopefully the desired effects will be a nice more rumbly diesel. here's how i plan on working this out:
When i get a lift to use ethier at school or at the shop my brother works for i want to just cut through the pipe before and aft of the resinator. Drop those bad boys out then ethier bridge the gap with some 2 1/2" pipe. Or see how it sounds strait piped and go from there. will update when achieved goal.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see why it won't work...I have a few suggestions, though.

First, make the resonator cuts as clean as possible!!! If the resonators aren't completely gunked up and can be reused, they could be worth something to someone. In addition, you may decide you don't like the sound and may want to put them back on...and replacement resonators are pretty expensive. Better to try and make it so you can re-use them if at all possible.

Second, keep in mind that, while you'll get a different noise and possibly more turbo whine, don't expect a major power increase. Unlike most other diesels, Damiler-Benz oversized the exhaust pipe on these cars, so it's already pretty non-restrictive. I believe some people have tried straight-piping a 617 before, and while the sound changed (I believe they compared it to a Euro g@$$er with a performance exhaust when running the straight pipe back to the stock exit point), they didn't notice any seat-of-the-pants power differences, and no real change in EGT's.

Also, IIRC, it's not that difficult to detach the exhaust downpipe from the back of the turbo, and this way you can remove the exhaust from the car completely and work on it without having to worry about hitting any part of the car with the Sawzall and whatnot. You may want to double-check the procedure for removing (and, more importantly, re-installing) the downpipe to the turbo; I don't remember exactly how it's done.

Someone with a 617 turbo in a 123 wagon cut his exhaust pipe off at the resonator, and just ran a piece of straight pipe out the side right at that point. It was a bit noisy to do on a daily driver, but it sure did sound nice. :D I attached two mp3's the guy took of how his car sounds like...to me, the exhaust sounds a lot like my truck (which is nice for a "play" rig, but I wouldn't want that on my daily driver). I'm not sure, but this guy may have the *** turbo (like what Hilary's car has) as opposed to the Garrett turbo that you and I have...so the turbo may (and probably will) sound different after you do this.

Just my $.02 :)

Attachments

• OM617 straight-pipe 01.mp3
    770.7 KB · Views: 7
  • OM617 straight-pipe 02.mp3
    127.1 KB · Views: 3

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meta,

Why do you want a Mercedes to sound like a Ford truck? I kinda like havin' my Benz sound like a Benz...quiet!

Meta6981

Reaction score
Well i want to see how it will sound. Its not really aggressive enough to my tastes. But i am not going for a totally loud badass get out of my way roar. If i wanted truck sound i would drive wardens truck. When i listen to my brothers two other 300d's and wardens compared to mine it sounds kinda too quiet. I also planned on makeing a nice clean cut and there is a place in my exhaust line about under the tranny that i can unbolt without going all the way up to the turbo. so i plan on doing it wendsday i belive so we'll see how it goes.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meta6981 said:
When i listen to my brothers two other 300d's and wardens compared to mine it sounds kinda too quiet.
Are you comparing the sounds inside or outside of the car?

Keep in mind that a 126 has a LOT more sound insulation than a 123. This is actually one of the reasons I want a 126. I think the exhaust may have been made somewhat quieter for the same reason, but I'm not certain.

But, if you're looking fo rmore engine noise, you have a LOT of insulation to remove...frankly, you'd be better off with a 123.

Sure you don't want to trade? :D

Meta6981

Reaction score
No i notice it outside the car too. the engine noise is increased on the 300 d thats from outside as well.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about engine noise or exhaust noise?

The other thing is that the 126 encapsulates the engine better as a whole, in an effort to make thngs quieter. They didn't go so far as to install a removable lower panel (like they did with the 124 and later cars), but the double-firewall and sheet metal in the front end contribute to this.

I guess what I'm getting at is, even with whatever you do to the exhaust, you won't get the same sort of noise that you'll see in a 123. You can get a louder/more obnoxious exhaust note, but if it's engine noise you're looking for, you're not really going to get it with a 126...

If you want the extra noise and a big interior, there's still that 116 in SoCal :D The guy's willing to take $300 for it...

Meta6981

Reaction score
I just want it to sound cooler thats all. I did not get a chance to cut out the resinators yesterday i was planning on it but got called away to other things, that and i have been working some extra hours. SO i will update when i do finally get it done. SO untill the anticipate the sounds.

Meta6981

Reaction score
Finally got it done, and might i say it sounds awsome. I love it. I have noticed i have more power possibly due to clogged resinators and exhaust. SO much turbo noise i love it. And its not unbarably loud so thats a plus too.