Replacing Block Heater

DFH

DH
Reaction score
Hello all, first post on this site although I have been a vistor for some time. Also been a member of the other site for 6 years. I must be doing something wrong. I am trying to replace my block heater, I have loosened the center screw on the heater and still unable to pop it out. Does anyone have experience with this?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
That screw is the one that screws into a holding flat clip inside the block. If it is hard just tap it with the handle of a hammer and then move it up/down or in angle to get it out, just don't unscrew it all the way or you could loose the clip inside and is not easy to get to it through that little hole.

Welcome to the site.

DFH

DH
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I have the screw loose just have not been able to pull the unit out and did not want to pry between the block and heater unit itself in fear of damaging the block surface where it seals. Having never done one of these was not sure how hard they are to pop out?

DFH

DH
Reaction score
Figured it out, someone before me must have over tightened the wedge that holds the heater unit and stripped the screw, not allowing it to back off so I could remove it. Just hold to put pressure on it while backing off the screw. Car quest has a new unit $48.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Car quest has a new unit $48.

I tried a Katz (sp) model that was supposed to fit our engines, no go. The element was too long and made contact in the water jacket before the "plug" was seated properly. If you have this problem, try NAPA. They had an exact replacement at my local NAPA, same wattage and all, the Katz was less wattage and as I said, wouldn't fit anyway. Either way, my price at NAPA was like $43 which was cheaper than my local stealership would sell the cord for!!! :backoff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online