Replacement Windshield

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I'm looking for a quality replacement windshield for 84. You guys got any recommendations on a good one or should I just go find a decent one in a junk yard?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are so cheap it's not worth doing used. Safelite will do then for like $225-250 in your driveway. Any glass shop will probably be cheaper.

My 2 cents.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most insurance companies offer that coverage free in their policies also. If you want to have fun, before you tell them about insurance ask them the cash price and then see what they bill insurance for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had mine replaced in my driveway for 155 bucks. They came and did it all and it is warranted against leaks.

A tube of the proper urethane is 25 bucks too, so if you are buying a windshield to install yourself, figure in that cost.

If you know anyone who can cut out a urethane installed windshield, without cracking it, I would be impressed.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
My vote is for Satelite. They do nice work.
I would do safelite. Just take before and after pics. Heard stories of them scratching stuff.

We had a windshield thread awhile back. They said to make sure you get the PPG? PPM? glass. As it's thicker and stronger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had mine replaced in my driveway for 155 bucks. They came and did it all and it is warranted against leaks.

A tube of the proper urethane is 25 bucks too, so if you are buying a windshield to install yourself, figure in that cost.

If you know anyone who can cut out a urethane installed windshield, without cracking it, I would be impressed.

Uhm.....that wouod be me.....done it many times...

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i got a factory ford logo carlite for the same price as china in my driveway, just ask after they give ya a price for one.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I guess I should have specified I just need the glass.

I actually cut the window out and resealed it last summer. Was all fine and dandy till my brother dropped a cv axle on it from our garage attic -cuss

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think what we are saying is that for what you will pay in glass you can probably have it installed and warranted for a few dollars more. Not telling you what to do just presenting it as an option. I think they will sell you glass too but not sure.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well then, I am impressed, not only by your windshield removing skills Al.

Non trim erothane like our trucks are relatively simple to cut out actually...when in autowrecking we cut many out for folks but thats when folks are cheap and new was expensive....now new is cheaper than cutting it out lest one does it themselves.

The tricks learned make it simple...one can do it with a knife....but two guys with proper windshieod removal wire is really quite quick.

Or spend the $$$ and use an Inductor to remove glass....thats the best and it does trimmed glass very well too I might add.

Black blades for exacto knifes.....there is a special one super long and the regilare short ones....some shingles for wedges and suoer soapy water in vehicoe to wet the thane whikst slicing it....golden...if at pick n pull...use wd40...better than soapy water but hella messy too.

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can cut the broken w/s with a cold knife or piano wire. I use what is called the "short cut" method by just cutting out the w/s and leaving the rest of urethane bed in the pinch weld. This helps keep the new w/s spaced off the pinch weld correctly and uses less urethane. Clean up any gouged or loose old urethane, that old bed is bonded to the pinch weld better than what we have with post factory install materials. If you do have to cut an area clear out you must apply a urethane primer and let it dry before running a bead of new urethane. Using the "long cut" method you will need 2 tubes of urethane.

I recommend using a name brand glass PPG, Carlite etc... Many import glass on Ford p/u's have a flat spot right in front of the driver and your wiper cannot wipe it clean.. I have one in my '93 right now, luckily it's cracked and will be replaced soon.

35 years of body work... I have taken 1 or 2 out w/o breaking

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
piano wire is where its at. wont even chip the corners.
many many windsheilds removed without cracking them...

that said...

NOTHING BEATS A NEW WINDSHEILD.
the clarity isn't there with a 30 year old windshield.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Piano wire is what most body shops use. Learn from the Pros.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online