Remove core support without opening AC system?

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this possible? Or would it be far simpler to just have the refrigerant recovered? Problem is, the truck is non operational so professional recovery is difficult.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No chance of removing the core support with the ac complete. Now if you cut the core support open in the high pressure areas then yes.. you can do it. But I'm thinking you want a core support thats not cut up on your truck. Do you have R12 or R134 freon in the system now. Either way its not a big deal to replace either one. I can walk you thru both and show you how to make a vacuum pump from an old refer compresser and two fittings.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I think it could be done but not as a full clip pull.
Radiator will definitely need to be removed tho.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you asking here.

Can you leave the the AC system INTACT and remove core support for radiator? If that is the question then the simple answer is YES!

I have personally done this two different times one OBS one Brick nose!

It does take some wiggling and such but it's very simple to do actually.

JM2CW

Al

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup i pulled my core support without opening up the system. I'll see if i can find the thread with the pics.

****!
You must be registered for see images

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different situation. Same question. Is it possible to pull the cab without opening the system? I have a great ac system with the original R12, and no one around here has the recovery systems for R12 anymore. I really hate to disable a good working system.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Different situation. Same question. Is it possible to pull the cab without opening the system? I have a great ac system with the original R12, and no one around here has the recovery systems for R12 anymore. I really hate to disable a good working system.

YES, you can you need to in essence do quite a bit of work but yes it's doable! Done it, then decided I would work on replacement of some parts so bled out my system. Then changed those plans when I got my 92SC and it's AC setup is being pulled with cab now complete so as not to disturb it. However I don't believe there is much pressure left...not much of a pffft when I checked for pressure so that just may change too DOH!

JM2CW

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is involved? I have not looked at it to close yet. Can I just remove the evap unit and leave it on the engine while I do the swap? If I remember right, the evap unit is removed from the engine compartment anyway, right? I also intend to do the turbo install while the cab is off. So much more room to work.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
You can unbolt the entire heater core box from the firewall and move it forward enough to lift the cab up and out.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is involved? I have not looked at it to close yet. Can I just remove the evap unit and leave it on the engine while I do the swap? If I remember right, the evap unit is removed from the engine compartment anyway, right? I also intend to do the turbo install while the cab is off. So much more room to work.

Yes that should work...sounds like a similar project to the one currently in my yard. Turbo install too LOL when cab swap occurs.!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well it seems I was wrong about this original posters question. I sure will be looking at my ac and core support to see how it seems to be done..

GasFree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the same thing when I started pulling the support for repairs but the support comes right out around it with no issues.

Well it seems I was wrong about this original posters question. I sure will be looking at my ac and core support to see how it seems to be done..

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats good to hear. I thought that might be the case, but it has been a while since I changed the Evap unit on one of these trucks. I just hate to waste the R-12 when the system works fine. I would have it recovered if anyone around here would do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726