remote start questions

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any one have any advice for a 97 f350? is there a brand around that is better for the diesels etc?

Is running the truck with the block heater plugged in bad?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the ones from bulldog security.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
dont know about the remote start, but Id stay away from a 29.99 special.
as for running with the block heater on that wont hurt any thing, just make shure its unplugged before ya drive off

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got one of theirs in the Moosestang. Granted, it wasn't designed for a diesel so I'd have to add some electronics of my own if I want to do cold starts with it, but it was $40 at KMart and figured it was worth a shot. It was easy to install, never had a problem with it, and the company seems really good with support. You get a video with it, so they teach you how to install it, and there web site has lots of helpfull diagrams. So in summary, quality product, easy to work with, backed with good support. ;Sweet

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah im thinking of a unit that combines a security system, etc with it.

Do the more expensive units combine a fail safe into it if there is no oil pressure it will shut off the truck?

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I got one of theirs in the Moosestang. Granted, it wasn't designed for a diesel so I'd have to add some electronics of my own if I want to do cold starts with it, but it was $40 at KMart and figured it was worth a shot. It was easy to install, never had a problem with it, and the company seems really good with support. You get a video with it, so they teach you how to install it, and there web site has lots of helpfull diagrams. So in summary, quality product, easy to work with, backed with good support. ;Sweet
Mel, you got a model number for this $40 unit?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked their web site ( http://bulldogsecurity.com/ ) and I don't see my model listed. I'm sure after 4 years it has been surpassed by a newer one. Mine is a "two button starter" so it is probably replaced by that RS-81i model, which seems to have the same feature set. If I were you, I would give them a call, as they will tell you what the right model(s) are for your truck, and how hard or easy it would be to install. The make some that just plug right into the newer vehicles which would be really nice. Certainly wasn't an option on an 87' which was lucky if you had a plug for a brake controller. LOL

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive got an ultrastart in mine. http://ultrastarters.com/ .i have the 1270TL.it is expandable to include an alarm and keyless entry.can be programmed to start every hour,2,3 or 4 hours.can be programmed to run for up to an hour i think.also has a turbo timer for the diesels.hold the button,shut truck off and it runs at idle for 2 minutes.the TL= tachless.it can be used with or without the tach wire hooked up.also has the WTS wire as well but i dont know what wire in the trucks harness is for the WTS light or the tach as id like to have both hooked up so it WILL start in 0 degree weather

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats the thing is i need it to start in very cold weather. Do they only cycle the glow plugs once for like 20 seconds then or? Anyone ever done this and have it work?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker