Remaned Ford E40d Transmission by Ford? Happy?

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just found out I can get a re-manufactured factory transmission by Ford for my '94 7.3 e350 van. The price is around 1,900.00 uninstalled with new TC and Ford insists upon a new cooler at 120.00 and just wondering if anyone else has gone this route? Does Ford upgrade to steel planetaries, upgraded bushing, etc. and other known recall upgrades? I do like the UNLIMITED mile three year warranty and Ford dealerships are everywhere. My trans went out quickly and will not transfer power in any gear - there was no noise, pan was clean, filter very dirty but plenty of fluid. I understand that the front pumps go quickly sometimes on the E40D? Any thoughts?

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why don't you give them a call and ask? It's best to ask about THE part you are buying rather than "in general." Just saying, you never know for sure unless you ask the source :)

Desertrig

Reaction score
Isn't an OEM TCM pretty expensive all by itself? The dealer near me offered $2300 and made no mention of the warranty, TCM, or cooler on the new dump. Seems too reasonable for a stealership to me. I might have not towed the truck another 150 miles on that offer (was a little heavy behind a 97 f250 psd) and would have lost my triple disc torque convertor most likely.... My rebuilder cursed all the upgrades and recalls that hadn't been done on mine...

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why don't you give them a call and ask? It's best to ask about THE part you are buying rather than "in general." Just saying, you never know for sure unless you ask the source :)

I did, but the gentleman I spoke with sounded less than sure - most likely will call Ford back east or wherever these units are built and talk to the source so I can order with confidence -thanks!

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
My friend got one, not sure what its got internally but the warrenty made it worth it. We installed atru cool cooler, banks torque converter and a shift kit. Tows great. 95 psd btw.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did, but the gentleman I spoke with sounded less than sure - most likely will call Ford back east or wherever these units are built and talk to the source so I can order with confidence -thanks!

That's your best bet IMO. Keep calling til you get someone that knows for sure! When I was browsing for an engine I made a list of questions to ask everyone. With a big ticket item, it's best to get those kinds of answers right from the people who are selling it to ya. Good luck!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 94 450 had a ford reman in it when i bought it.had about 10,000 miles on it.i put another 130,000 miles of pure abuse on it before it let go.it just suddenly died one night.got done towing 10 demo cars,drove 30 miles home.pulled into a store,waited for a parking spot,truck wouldnt move forward unless at full throttle.:eek::dunno

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My friend got one, not sure what its got internally but the warrenty made it worth it. We installed atru cool cooler, banks torque converter and a shift kit. Tows great. 95 psd btw.

Great news, that's what I was thinking too and Ford dealerships are everywhere which makes for some security -thanks!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
One can't beat the nationwide warranty... Unless its Sunday nite around 7 pm... then you get a motel and wait for the morning. Then it depends on how long they need to fix or get you another trans... So thats more days in the motel or just sitting around waiting... But still thats a great warranty... The price seems a little low but maybe they have some special going on too... I would ask more questions like you posted and if its all what you want.. do it before they wake up and charge more...

GasFree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't go wrong with that price and warranty. Mine got about 160,000 miles with no issues. Seems like I paid about that much a long time ago but they did give me the core which is now built and back in her. And yes, they do rebuild them with the upgrades.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i recently called ford while shopping for a reman.
right around 2k uninstalled w/3 yr warranty.
im not sure if you actually get the 3 yr warranty if you don't also pay them to install it.i didn't get that far in my questions.
they did tell me they upgrade the trans to meet 1995 specs.which consists over 50 upgrades!

i decided on a local rebuilder who knows these trans very well.he's building it to meet my commercial duty needs.right to the latest 98+ 4r100 hd specs (with 4r100's issues addressed) with transgo tugger,billet extra low stall converter,large cooler and all installed.
cost was higher though of course,but for it's hd use,i felt it my wisest choice.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just to add some information about the E4OD trans. A shop called BTS Brians Truck Shop in Leadhill Arkansas builds these transmissions and you will never break them. They do have a standard warranty but really their warranty is this... Any hp.. Any torque.. No questions asked. Your looking at around $5000.00 too. For that you get the upgrades plus more friction drive disc in several gears. A triple disc converter that has 150 square inches of friction material compared to the stock converter with 25 square inches of friction material.. Not saying the stock converter was weak either. They work very well. But the added insurance of what the triple disc gives us is amazing. I know when the skinny peddle touches the carpet and I'm shifting thru all 8 gears using the grea vendors it really a ride and I'm running 3:55 gears on stock height tires.. I wonder what a set of 4:11 would feel like.. Maybe a shuttle launch or something near that..:sly I keep an eye on the trans fluid and having the Mag Hitech pan on it that gives me an extra 2 gallons of ATF sure makes for a warm fuzzy feeling. If I was the only driver on this rig I would have done all this differantly. I would have done the ZF 5 speed and the spicer aux trans like RLDSL did. Just the idea of shifting for myself would be heaven. Then adding 15 forward gears and three reverse gears is incredable... Robert knew how to make his rig something extra special.. With 15 gears to choose from you know there will never be a gear that he doesn't have...:thumbsup:

Desertrig

Reaction score
My super duty has triple discs and I'm thinking 5.23 - it's like red truck on high idle with 4.11s. I can't imagine what I'd do with more air or fuel other than have some fun. The splitter, however, oh the splitter... The trans shop's guy said, "I don't remember the idi's having giddy up like that. You might want to make sure it's not turned up...."

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't go wrong with that price and warranty. Mine got about 160,000 miles with no issues. Seems like I paid about that much a long time ago but they did give me the core which is now built and back in her. And yes, they do rebuild them with the upgrades.

Thanks - I just learned from a guy at Ford that my trans would be coming from a Ford authorized builder and that the dealership should be able to put me in touch with the actual company so that I can find out for sure what they will be giving me - I would like to upgrade the TC at the same time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk