Refrigerant leak around this valve?

Blackascoal

Reaction score
I’ve got a refrigerant leak around this valve, more like seepage, that runs down the side of this canister. Anybody else seen this? Is it a matter of just replacing the valve? What is that canister for anyway?
Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the a/c dryer and it's not coolant that's leaking it's the green dye that's added to some refrigerant oils, this has a tendency to happen when the hose is disconnected/ reconnected for filling/checking refrigerant level. If it's not from that then it's possible that the schrader valve is slowly leaking refrigerant and will let it all out if not repaired. I would check and make sure the adapter and valve core are tight before replacing any parts.

Blackascoal

Reaction score
That's the a/c dryer and it's not coolant that's leaking it's the green dye that's added to some refrigerant oils, this has a tendency to happen when the hose is disconnected/ reconnected for filling/checking refrigerant level. If it's not from that then it's possible that the schrader valve is slowly leaking refrigerant and will let it all out if not repaired. I would check and make sure the adapter and valve core are tight before replacing any parts.
Oh ok. Thanks. It’s probably the schrader. I’ve haven’t had to refill the refrigerant, etc. Is that system under pressure if I have to remove the valve? Anything to be careful of?

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will want to evacuate the freon before attempting to remove the valve, the system is under some pressure even when not operating usually in the neighborhood of 100 psi. If you don't own a vacuum pump for ac systems and a good set of manifold gauges then I'd recommend taking it to someone that does ac repair and is honest and trustworthy. It won't cost much to replace the schrader valve or you can have them replace the dryer assembly and recharge the system correctly. However it's only worth troubling over if the ac actually works and first and foremost I would clean all that mess off real good and make sure it's actually leaking. My 86 f350 has looked like that for 5 years I know and the ac is still very cold and I have put maybe 8oz r134a in it over that time.

Blackascoal

Reaction score
You will want to evacuate the freon before attempting to remove the valve, the system is under some pressure even when not operating usually in the neighborhood of 100 psi. If you don't own a vacuum pump for ac systems and a good set of manifold gauges then I'd recommend taking it to someone that does ac repair and is honest and trustworthy. It won't cost much to replace the schrader valve or you can have them replace the dryer assembly and recharge the system correctly. However it's only worth troubling over if the ac actually works and first and foremost I would clean all that mess off real good and make sure it's actually leaking. My 86 f350 has looked like that for 5 years I know and the ac is still very cold and I have put maybe 8oz r134a in it over that time.
Thanks for your help!

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean that all off with carb cleaner and spray with soapy water to see where your leak is for sure. If it's the schrader valve, those are easy enough to replace, and like jubjub linked, you can do it without evacuating the system with a special tool.

If it's the joint on the pipe, you'll have to replace the accumulator. To do that, you'll need to recover the refrigerant, which isn't difficult with the right machine.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll see those joints leak from time to time, especially if it's recharged often. Typically the owner gets a little aggressive installing and removing the coupler, which flexes the low side connector and causes a leak at the tee.

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score