red instrument light?

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
thanks guys for the responses. i figured this would be a thread noone cared about. i have an extra auto cluster to practice on. RJJP that video is pretty much what im wanting, just red. was that your video? if so howd you do it????

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I just put the blue leds in. They work pretty good with the green.

dagreendeville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rjjp nice choice of music ha ha and you just put blue in didnt try to remove green paint like optikal?, also optikal why didnt you use some nail polish remover or something on a q tip? wouldnt it be easier? or am i asking for trouble

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
rjjp nice choice of music ha ha and you just put blue in didnt try to remove green paint like optikal?, also optikal why didnt you use some nail polish remover or something on a q tip? wouldnt it be easier? or am i asking for trouble

Nail polish remover contains acetone, and i was afraid it would react with the plastic. Scraping it off with a knife seemed to work well and wouldnt damage anything.

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some guy on ebay made me a custom order of leds for close to $20 to my door. 100 of them mixed with colors, even some that change on their own rgb. Each was prewired for 12 volts with resistors.

I went this route because for the same price I got 3 bulbs from the local kragen that popped into stock locations and they were not very good.

leds can be awesome depending on the application but don't spread light all around typically like a bulb so you need to tinker with them, perhaps sanding and diffusing their beam, and also you can mess with colors and/or soft/bright white light and other things to diffuse and spread the color. Like those clear plastic colored folder inserts they sell.

I suggest tinkering in a real world situation as far as dash layout, parts and distances and test out each phase. Temporary mount the lights and/or use some junk parts.

These leds I got are waaay brighter than the stuff I got in the store. I was very surprised to find a single led being able to easily brighten up each knob on my old vw for example.

I didn't move over to the truck yet because I think it is blown up and I want another, but this is one of the first things I would do for an aging dash.

My old 85 vw jetta also had leds in some dash indicators and all this time later they remain bright, clear and uniformly lit when on. Everything else though I had to deal with the same as the truck. Certain colored parts, old dirty parts, etc.

I personally like the bright and pronounced knobs with different colors on my dash, but can easily see how you can mess up with spotty and too bright of a light on the speedo, etc. area.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I made a discovery...

If you have an electronic tranny and you try to drive off with the speedo unplugged, your tranny will go into limp mode...

I wondered if that would happen, seeing that the speedo and tach signals might be interrupted...

Now we know...:eek:

boosted power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you were crazy ambitious you could even make you're own overlay and really modernize the dash.

Just replace each factory insert with a piece of lexan or acrylic. Paint one side a translucent color, then print a new design on mylar or whatever and stick it on the other side. As long as the sweeps are divided up the same as the originals you could radically change the design.

I attempted this once on a Merkur XR4ti with mild success. cookoo

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Some guy on ebay made me a custom order of leds for close to $20 to my door. 100 of them mixed with colors, even some that change on their own rgb. Each was prewired for 12 volts with resistors.

I went this route because for the same price I got 3 bulbs from the local kragen that popped into stock locations and they were not very good.

leds can be awesome depending on the application but don't spread light all around typically like a bulb so you need to tinker with them, perhaps sanding and diffusing their beam, and also you can mess with colors and/or soft/bright white light and other things to diffuse and spread the color. Like those clear plastic colored folder inserts they sell.

I suggest tinkering in a real world situation as far as dash layout, parts and distances and test out each phase. Temporary mount the lights and/or use some junk parts.

These leds I got are waaay brighter than the stuff I got in the store. I was very surprised to find a single led being able to easily brighten up each knob on my old vw for example.

I didn't move over to the truck yet because I think it is blown up and I want another, but this is one of the first things I would do for an aging dash.

My old 85 vw jetta also had leds in some dash indicators and all this time later they remain bright, clear and uniformly lit when on. Everything else though I had to deal with the same as the truck. Certain colored parts, old dirty parts, etc.

I personally like the bright and pronounced knobs with different colors on my dash, but can easily see how you can mess up with spotty and too bright of a light on the speedo, etc. area.

Superbrightleds.com