Rebuilt 6.9 Cylinder Heads

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hmm. Nice catch Gary. I'll look into them. I've been wondering though if i replace the drivers side head do I need to have the 9thou deck taken off like the other side is? Wont it make the motor run weird if the one head is decked and the other side isnt?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Hmm. Nice catch Gary. I'll look into them. I've been wondering though if i replace the drivers side head do I need to have the 9thou deck taken off like the other side is? Wont it make the motor run weird if the one head is decked and the other side isnt?

replace both heads

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... Replace both heads to balance the power from each bank.... I found two other ebay sellers but they are asking about $100.00 more per head plus shipping....

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got an entire parts truck for sale. The crank is broken but all the rest of the truck is in good shape. $2 grand and it's yours. New tires, rims, Hypermax turbo and a Gear Vendors.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Wow, yea I was wondering about that. I guess I'll just have to get a new head and have 9 thou decked off of it. If I have to pull the passenger side head I might as well pull the motor, the cab and turbo. Or hope that this head isnt screwed and have a new valve put in it.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Wow, yea I was wondering about that. I guess I'll just have to get a new head and have 9 thou decked off of it. If I have to pull the passenger side head I might as well pull the motor, the cab and turbo. Or hope that this head isnt screwed and have a new valve put in it.

what if 9 thou is the problem?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sean... Don't ruin the replacement head and cut 9 thousands off it. That would be very unwise to do. Thats like installing something new but damage it like the parts your replacing. Your much better off doing both heads. Remember who did the heads and why wouldn't the other head be in the same condition with loose valves. I know its twice as expensive doing both but it will be done right.... You don't want to do this job a thrid time... This I know....

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
It says they surface them, I wonder if using a minimum thickness guidelines? Sounds like a good deal, would be interesting to look at a set in person.

I'm going to have mine gone through in the spring, the machine shop I worked at quoted me around $200 for both, new guides, valve job, pressure tested and magna fluxed, valve job, etc. I'm sure that will go up if I have valves that need replaced, etc. So I don't think the price is bad at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online