Rebuild or Swap 7.3 with high mileage?

RocketScott

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I'm at another crossroads and would like some advice on which way to go. My E350 has been a work in progress for a while. My plan is to start using it for work once everything is reliable. I put in a craigslist transmission last month while I rebuild the original. Right now I use my F150 for my construction business so the time frame to fix it isn't a factor.

Last week it blew a head gasket. It produces a fair amount of white smoke and the coolant level drops significantly. The motor has around 350k on it and there is a tapping noise that is unfamiliar to me. The previous owner seemed to think it was a bad lifter. I'll see if I can post a video of it running. To do the head gaskets I'm sure I'll need to pull the motor (it's really tight in the van). So if I pull it I might as well go through the whole thing. My question is whether it's worth it to rebuild the high mileage motor or should I look for something with lower miles? I've seen a few for $1200.

I suppose either way I'm going to need to pull the motor. Is there a way to tell if it has cavitation damage once I open it up? I know very little about the history of this motor.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only way to check for cavitation is to have the block sonic tested.

this really depends on your budget, and plans for the rig

i favor the idea of purchasing another block.
this can go one of two ways.
either tear it down and rebuild it, if you have the cash
or hopefully you find a good runner and just slap it in.

as this is in a van, i would purchase a core engine, and have it rebuilt
or even buy a remaned engine.
when its done, do the engine swap.

ive done lots and lots of engine swaps, and parts tend to dissapear when i walk away from a project for a month or so while the engine is being machined.

RocketScott

Reaction score
That's about what I was thinking. What would a fair price on a used motor be? I know there are lots of variables. The last two I saw on CL were $1200 and $1500 but I can't remember the mileages.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I would Not Pay $1200-1500 for a IDI engine. That's about what a 12v cummins cost. :puke:

$600-800 Sounds about Right.

What ever you decide GoodLuck. ;Sweet

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would Not Pay $1200-1500 for a IDI engine. That's about what a 12v cummins cost. :puke:

$600-800 Sounds about Right.

What ever you decide GoodLuck. ;Sweet
you wouldnt pay 10 bucks for a oilburners "supporting member" badge either.
even if it came with free parts :rotflmao

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
N/A 6.9 or 7.3 cores can be had for ~$100 here in Texas. IE, scrap value if the seller can't answer the hard questions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance