rebuild kits

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
is there a rebuild kit worth getting for a 6.9?

I've got a line on 4-5 6.9 motors... $100 each, I can mismatch parts to make sure they are all good quality.
All the motors turn over, etc. These were from farm trucks, so no sense getting them running, I'll just do a complete rebuild.

I figure certain parts (exhaust valves and the like) I'll buy individually but it'd be nice to get a reasonably priced gasket set, pistons etc.
www.agkits.com has one for a grand, I've bought tractor parts from them and they are alright, they sell "federal mogul" brand so thats a thought.

Thanks
Drew

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say for $100 each you gotta grab 'em especially in condition that they turn over. Go to Diesel Direct in Orange Park. They have lots of parts for our IDIs at reasonable cost. There should be a website for them. If you do get them, I might eventually buy one off of you for a project in "core" condition if you're willing to part with one,
J.D.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
long blocks? heck 2 of em have complete fuel systems.

I know I'm going to grab at least one. I wanna build my motor while my truck still runs perfectly, I hate last minute stuff :)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The price is about in-line with any other kit wholesaler through mail order. Do make sure your piston overbore size and your crank journal size before you order. If I were you, I'd buy all the motors. Chances are you might come away with 1 set of good heads out of the whole batch. My luck has been 1 rebuildable set out of ten motors.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, I wouldn't blink to buy those motors. My only problem would be where to put them all. LOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mel... Duct tape and tarps will protect anything. Judt keep the sun and snow off of them. Thats a really fair price for a rebuildable core motor too.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When you consider that the scrap metal value right now per motor stripped would be somewhere around $570 each........;Sweet

---------Robert

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Scrap metal and 6.9?

Them's fightin words. :backoff

Yeah, but if they're beyond repair :D I called the scrap place a couiple of weeks ago about junking a parts car, $0.95 a lb is pretty sweet , of course, by the time I drag a car down there, the price will magically be down to $0.20 a lb.

----------Robert

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yeah, but if they're beyond repair :D I called the scrap place a couiple of weeks ago about junking a parts car, $0.95 a lb is pretty sweet , of course, by the time I drag a car down there, the price will magically be down to $0.20 a lb.

----------Robert

Looks like I was right, I waited and scrap prices are way back down again, steel around $0.11 a lb, clean engines$0.077 a LB, so engines are probably only worth about $46 in scrap ( assuming around 600 lb after the pumps and other goodies removed , might be a bit more).
That'll teach me to wait, wouldn't even be worth it for me to rent a dolly to haul off the scrap cars right now -cuss

TomA

Reaction score
My son is getting $130 per ton for cars/car parts right now. The place he is taking it shreds it, sifts it and loads it right on a boat headed for China.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
i havn't landed back in snipesville Ga.
busy as a two peckered dog.

will get there after I knock out this next job, plus I'll have more funding at that time.
The guy isn't looking to sell them... I just asked if he would to me since I've worked for him so much this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent