Reattaching the fuel selector switch back in place...

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got the OBS style dash and I thought I had the switch glued in good, but last summer in the heat, the epoxy broke free from the black instrument panel...-cuss

So, does anyone know what type of plastic the black plastic is?

I wonder if PVC cement would work?

I know that if this happened to me, then it's happened to many of you, so let me hear how you guys fixed it and is it still fixed?

Thanks!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Mine is broke loose at the bottom.
I've thought of finding some sort of plastic round stock, to glue back into place for the screws.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is broke loose at the bottom.
I've thought of finding some sort of plastic round stock, to glue back into place for the screws.
Well, the problem with that is most glues don't stick to this kind of plastic...

That's why I posted this, I'm hoping that somebody knows what type of plastic the black instrument panel is made of...

Then I can fix the fuel switch for good...

damedic

Is That Black Smoke
Reaction score
Have you tried JB Weld?
That stuff sticks/adheres/bonds to most surfaces.
Just a little dab will do ya..

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
menards has a universal plastic cement kit

it's worked on everything I've tried it on

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm... Like this?

I wonder if I can rent one? Those look expensive...

Attachments

• plastic welder.jpg
    plastic welder.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i fixed my dash with a plastic welder then sanded and smoothed it you never know it was fixed

Nick
Ok, now for the $1,000,000 question...

What kind of plastic did you feed into your plastic welder? :sly

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to add some reinforcement if at all possible. I used some aluminum flat bar I had laying around. I also filled the upper post with epoxy and built it up around the post, then drilled and tapped it for a machine screw rather than a self tapping screw. Mine has been like this for years, and works great. The lower bolts are hidden behind the trim panel that also hides the mounting screws for the dash bezel. It's completely undetectable from the front when installed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 15

damedic

Is That Black Smoke
Reaction score
hmm... Like this?

I wonder if I can rent one? Those look expensive...

Harbor Freight. Not the best, but pretty good... It will get the job done and maybe a few more.

Search/Google "harbor freight coupon" and sometimes you can find a 25% off deal. But you can get a get a 20% Off Coupon quite often, look in your "Diesel Power" magazine. There is one in there almost every issue.

They have different styles at different prices and they do have a variety of different plastic rods.

... I like reklunds suggestion as well - looks pretty solid. I have been procrastinating to fix my problematic switch as well.

Now I have some ideas on how to git r done.

Good luck on your attempt to fix it once and for all.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may try 3M trim adhesive. This is the stuff used to bond exterior plastic trim to a vehicle.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I glued mine with a whole lot of hot glue from a cheap hot glue gun. Held good through its first Arkansas summer...

Now, I did use a LOT.

damedic

Is That Black Smoke
Reaction score
Well, I got the gumption to go do mine finally after reading this thread. Even though I said I liked reklunds suggestion I was running low on time, didn't finish because I couldn't find something I forgot about.

I am in the Pool and Spa Service business and I use a product called "Plast-aid". It is awesome stuff. Expensive, but it works and fixes most anything. You can even fabricate stuff with it. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkTSpmS1zXY

Amazon probably has it the best price around, I sell it as well but my prices are not as low as Amazon's.

Just remove complete frame to acces the back of the switch. I have 3 Ford F-Series trucks, 1992 F150 gasser, 94 F250 IDI TD, and a 96 F250 PSD, and all have had the fuel tank selector switch break. And they all break the same! The hole that the screw threads into to hold the switch, breaks in half or all the way gone. With Plast-Aid, you just reform the receiving hole, spray the screw with a lubricant, thread it into the still soft Plast-aid, and then in about 15-20 minutes thread it out. And good as new.
Even if you don't use plastaid to fix the switch problem, it is very useful for many things we come across.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726