Rear Tank Replacement

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
My 94 F-350 has the rear tank leaking.Took a strap off to get blasted and painted and appears the tank has diesel fuel on it so someone give me the best method for replacement?

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
u want to know how to get the tank out with fuel in it?? get some 1/2 " cheap vinyl hose from home depot or lowes, feed it into the tank. use a shopvac for suction and when the flow starts stick the end of the hose in a big container and wait til its all drained out! just did this on my front tank this afternoon.

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
The tank don't have much fuel if any in it as that's not the problem.The problem is I want to know how to get it out like if you take the tank out with the neck or an easy procedure as I haven't taken one out and this seems to be a common problem because it needs replaced?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The best thing I found for dropping the rear tank is cut loose the supply and return lines at the frame crossmember. Then you can drop the tank far enough to reach up and remove the wires and lines from the tank... Its tuff but easier doing it this way....

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a real bear trying to hook up those fuel & return lines with very little clearance and no visibility - other than that it's not a bad job.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulling the bed is actually pretty easy provided your hardware isn't severely corroded. If you don't want to pull your bed, I would suggest cutting and splicing the lines someplace that's easy to get to as it is tough to get to the sending unit.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done the cut and splice on both tanks on the truck and on one of the cad's...it makes it a heck of a lot easier to connect/disconnect, and you get the satisfaction of being able to actually see that everything is in place.

Pulling the bed would be the next best thing, but the truck barley fits in the garage right now, and the HOA would kill me if I left either the bed, or the truck without the bed in the driveway for more than 5 mins.