rear end gears

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Do you know what bearing preload is? How about backlash? How about contact pattern?

For someone that has never setup gears, just swap the whole axle housing. Put new brakes on if you need them or just swap the entire brake assembly by unbolting the backing plate from the axle.

Yeah, if none of that makes sense, your looking at an axle swap!

You have to:
Set pinion depth, preload, etc., then set the backlash, then run a pattern...if the pattern isn't perfect, take it all out and shim, shim, shim, shim, shim some more!

You guys can just throw carrier and pinion in and have at it, the chances of everything being right housing to housing is very slim. Now, the Dana axle, you'd probably have a better shot at because from what we've found, they ARE machined very close. My pinion said to add .002 over the stock shim, and we are very close. We called it a day and are going to hit it again today. Getting ready to go now. Should have it done today. But the guy who I'm helping wont let it leave until it's perfect! I'm cool with that, I won't have to worry about it for a long time!

badasp118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well anything worth doing is worth doing right! That's why I will pay a proper shop to do the work for me. Now for the next question, do I buy new gears or a used set? I know this will pay for its self in time with the gas I will save. An axel swap won't work either as parts for these arnt easy to come by around here.

Badasp118

Metalmacguyver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might change your tune, when you price a professional gear install..... Some guys try to put their kids through college on them.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might change your tune, when you price a professional gear install..... Some guys try to put their kids through college on them.

True. The process is simple, it isn't rocket science, but it can be quite labor intense. Like stated above, you need to set the pinion depth, back lash, check the pattern, and change the shims based on what was you find. It just takes time and patience.

Heath

Metalmacguyver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That could definately work. Also look to see if there are any offroad shops nearby or clubs. They could help you out or might know who could help you out with a gear install.

lpennock

Reaction score
I was told by the operator of a local salvage yard that 3:55 gears will not fit in my rear end in place of my 4:10 gears? I know alot of you have done this swap.........any input?

He was probably thinking of the Dana 80 used on the dually. It has a 3.75 carrier break. The 10.25/10.5 Sterling used on the SRW does not have a carrier break. I would be sure he is getting the gears out of the correct axle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk