Old granny gear swap..... maybe?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The belt pump for an IDI may be a unicorn also, so check on that.

In my experience, they suddenly became popular in the late '90's as autos started to take over the tow-truck scene (i.e. no pto). So you're going to find these belt pump kits mainly on engines of that vintage and newer; and serp belt drive.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The belt pump for an IDI may be a unicorn also, so check on that.

In my experience, they suddenly became popular in the late '90's as autos started to take over the tow-truck scene (i.e. no pto). So you're going to find these belt pump kits mainly on engines of that vintage and newer; and serp belt drive.
My plan is to do away with the AC pump and make my own brackets. I won't ever fix my AC, so it's an available option.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were quite a few bale beds sold for these trucks that had V belts. Those pumps are (were?) out there.
Yeah, I've seen that and the bracket for the snow plow pumps. Towcat has a bit of information on old threads. But I really don't like how those basically cram a whole bunch more stuff on the passenger fender. I'm really getting bent towards my replacing the AC compressor with a hydraulic pump idea. I'm digging my 4 speed, it's not fast but it has a certain "truck feel" that makes it "right" for the tow truck.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I got bold and took apart my ZF5 that had died on me. At least I thought it was dead, it might be dead.....I hope it's not dead YET! So the reverse/5th gear rod thingy was stuck in reverse that night and I had managed to pull the shifter thingy out of that notch, so of course it couldn't do anything. The night that this happened I pulled the tower off and tried to pry it back, but the rear wheel pressure on it wouldn't let me move it, I think. So here's what I've decided: I'm going to put the ZF5 back together and study it really careful like with the PTO covers off, listening and feeling for any issues. If it seems fine, I'm going to roll with it and be cautious if I have to rock it forward and reverse. I'm also going to do a SMF, the DMF is shot. As well as new hydraulic hoses to the hydraulic pump, as these are pretty rough and they've been moved around more in the last couple weeks then they have in the last 25 years. This should buy me some time waiting for the unicorns to come in season. Thanks Oil Burners!

By unicorns, I mean a 460 ZF5, or a T19 PTO.

Edit: I think the reason it kinda crunches into 4th gear is because that's the gear the PTO runs on. Even though the PTO isn't engaged and the gear rolls really smooth, I imagine that it puts just enough drag on the transmission gear to make it not a synchronized shift.

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Never a dull day with you around man, glad that zf lives to gear noise another day

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, I MADE IT!!! But you have to ask, "but did you die?". And the answer is, "almost....." So ill spare the long story, so the short story is this (and you can fill in the details): I found out the hard way that as a 1987 truck, my tow truck has a few.....we might say....."special" features only found on "special"(read that retarded, for the non-politically correct crowd) transitional year trucks. That said, my ZF5 is a bit different, some how, and I can use the T19 flywheel and pressure plate on it. I kept the 11" ZF5 clutch plate, but BAM I'm SMF without spending anything. I didn't have to wait a whole week for my Rockauto flywheel, this could have been done a week ago! The transmission feels fine moving around the yard, it doesn't pop out of reverse. I really guess the night I thought I messed it up, I snatched the shifter in the wrong direction and left the shifting rod in the tranny in the wrong place. Oh well, be more careful next time.

AND as an adherent believer in Romans 8:28, this all worked out that I know what I'm looking for as far as PTO stuff, I got rid of a wore out DMF, I know allllllll about universal joints, my ZF5 is actually cast aluminum! I had thought it was made out of black sludge for the longest! And ive got new hydraulic hoses coming for the hydraulic pump, all things that wouldn't have gotten confronted or even known about without this lovely bit a drama.
Thanks Oil Burners!

-The Jesus Freak-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online