rear drums sticking?

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I begin to brake the rear drums 'CLUNK' and grab when I push the pedal down far enough.. it gets tricky on the hwy when I need to brake on the heavier side as the drums will clunk and cause the rear wheels to lock up sometimes! :eek:

Would I be able to get in the drum and lubricate anything to prevent the sticking drums? I had a friend adjust the brakes for me, and the drums engage once the pedal is closer to the floor, and then they engage and clunk and you definetely feel this...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like some of your brake hardware may be broken. Best pull the drums and see what is going on in there. There are springs and clips and things that can rust, and break. You could also have a lining that is broken, or has come unbonded.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on broken hardware or friction material chunking off. It's amazing how removing a little section of brake shoe will make it "all or nothing" when the fat pedal is applied.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine do that when wet, all the time (and sometimes lock up at lower speeds), until I use them a few times and they apparently heat up and bit and get the moisture out of them. It's really annoying.

And they have new(er) shoes, hardware, and cylinders in them (did all that last year, didn't fix anything). Doesn't really seem to matter what I do with them.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen this happen often after a fluid leak has been repaired at the rear, and the contaminated shoes were not replaced. After the leak is fixed, they will start trying to dry out and get "gummy" and want to hang up and stick. I guess this could also happen if you had a very small leak that is contaminating the shoes.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Mine do that when wet, all the time (and sometimes lock up at lower speeds), until I use them a few times and they apparently heat up and bit and get the moisture out of them. It's really annoying.

And they have new(er) shoes, hardware, and cylinders in them (did all that last year, didn't fix anything). Doesn't really seem to matter what I do with them.

Let me guess Autozone pads,maybe? I have delt with the same thing.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine when I bought my truck. I thought the same thing too as far as broken springs and such. My problem was the drums were egg shaped badly where the po let the truck sit for months at a time with the e-brake set. I doubt that this is your problem but if you can't find anything else might want to check this out.