rear driveline carrier bearing - size warning @ Autozone

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So was crawling under my truck a while back and noticed the rubber support that holds my carrier bearing was basically rotted out. floppity, floppity. No prob, got a replacement from Autzone.

I finally got around to installing it this evening and find out that the bearing is too small. They gave me a bearing with an inside diameter of 1.378(approx?). I called them back up this evening and they said that was the only bearing they showed for 1990 F350 4x4. They then looked up other years and found that 1993 shows a 1.5748 inside diameter bearing. Umm, yep that's the one I needed.

So. I call O'Riellys(formerly kragen) and they tell me they have a couple different diameters for 1990. One of which is the 1.5748.

know your bearing diameter requirement before you go. the only way I can think of to figure that out is pull the driveline, measure the diameter of the splines where the driveline slips in. If it's larger than 1 3/8, get the larger diameter carrier bearing.

And if you go to Autozone. you may need to tell them you have a 1993 F350 instead of a 1990 :dunno

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me about Vatozone. Down here I use them as an absolute last resort if no one else has what I need. I used to use them all the time in Ohio. Have probably 40 pages of warranty info in their system. They tend to only show the most popular parts for a vehicle. If it's oddball your out of luck.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A while ago it basically came down to Autozone, Kragen, Napa, or the dealer. Autozone and Kragen were within emergency distance and I found that Autozone had much higher quality and successful parts than Kragen every day. But recently I've been running in to problems with them. And on the flip-side since O'Reilly bought Kragen, it looks like O'Reilly might actually have better quality products(still up in the air). Of course Napa is my go-to place for parts but their hours of operation have been the biggest barrier lately. They also have higher prices but have more "made in the USA" parts.

paulb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just changed mine two weeks ago same thing two different bearings I guessed at the larger one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tubby