rear disc conversion.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Finally underway. I have had the 3.73 rear end sitting in the garage for about a year waiting and I bought the parts to do the brake system this weekend. I'm still a part or two short which I'll pick up tomorrow.

Should I do a tech write up or has that procedure been thoroughly documented enough for everybody?

7.3IDIDSL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah id be interested in seeing this as its something i want to do with my truck....take tons of pictures and keep us posted.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you using a kit or are you making your own "Barney Kit".:D Dude, I vote for a write up. Keep us up to date.

Heath

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would be very interested in a good write up on this. There are conversion kits available to swap the older 80s type axles to disc breaks if swapping the complete rear end is not prefered.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
If I have time I'll post the pics I have now. I won't be able to do the brake lines until I do the swap as I'm intending to use what's on the 3.08 and couple into a stainless line at the caliper.

Oh, and it's a piece together set up, not a kit. Total cost was about the same as buying new shoes, drums and cylinders. Well, that's not true for me because I also bought new wheel studs and lug nuts. Man are those salty.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely a write up is in order. As time goes on, we all may be forced to use newer axles.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
what rear do you have? is it a Dana 60 by any chance? i'm eventualy swapping front and rear D60's and would like full disc in addition to the hydra-boost.

-Jon ;Sweet

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
short story shorter, it's not a hard job. If I can figure out how to download pics as a clickable thumbnail, I'll get a write up done tonight.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What axle did you use Barney? I've heard the 99 van axles are the best because our wheels fit them.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
What axle did you use Barney? I've heard the 99 van axles are the best because our wheels fit them.

I used a dana 60 out of a 75 f250. I had to remount the spring perches and shock mounts, but the bolt pattern and overall length are the same.