Rear Brake Randomly Dragging

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got something similar going on with my truck as well. The issue seems to be mostly w it’s my driver’s side drum. Everything is new, shoes, hardware, wheel cylinder, drum and parking brake cable. Occasionally it will drag, and sometimes the parking brake gets tight sooner than others (2 or 3 clicks instead of half way). The dragging seems to correspond with the tighter parking brake. On one occasion the parking brake went loose after it was set, and the truck rolled a bit. It wasn’t in gear, and there was no damage, but it’s a bit unnerving when you walk out to find your truck not where you parked it. My theory is that something is hanging up in the area of the anchor pin, and parking brake actuator. I plan to investigate it further when I have some time. For now, I try to make sure that the truck coasts freely when I first take off, and if it doesn’t, I set and release the parking brake until it does. It’s pretty easy to tell now that I know to pay attention to where the pedal is when it gets tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And in case you hadn't looked them up, the cables are so cheap it's stupid. Like $15 each. So getting them swapped out is cheap, though goofing around with the drum brake setup is not as easy as you'd hope.

Actually you could cut the old cable off and then probably thread the new cable in with the help of some vice grips or something to compress the little spring, giving enough room to thread it into that lever without tearing the whole thing apart. I want to say I've done that once before...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cable clips into the arm 2A637/2A638. I doubt you could get it in there without taking the brake drum off. I usually have to take the whole thing apart to get them in place. Getting the old ones out can be the hardest part.

You must be registered for see images attach

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually just cut the old cables if I’m replacing them. Then to get the old cable sleeve un-clipped from the backing plate I use a box wrench. 1/2” or maybe 9/16” I can never remember. Anyway what ever size barely fits over the end of it, force it down over the locking fingers and it will compress all of them at one time and you can work the cable out.

For re-assembly I always start at the brake end. If you pull all the cable to the brake end there’s usually plenty of slack to get it hooked on the arm without fighting the spring too much. Then clip in to the backing plate then then clip the other end of the sheath into its mount. I make the last connection at the spreader bar. I’ll have both rear cables in the spreader, and use a small ratchet strap to pull it forward where I can slip the cable coming from the pedal into place. It’s also best to have the drums off while doing this to get more travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also make sure to put the cable going across the pass side back in the clip on the rearend. If your clip is missing, find or make something to tie it down with. If you don't, it will want to flop around when you activate the brake instead of making the center do it's job and pull on the brake shoes.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having the same problem. Mine is the proportioning valve. I can loosen a line there and the brakes will release until I use them again.

silexis

Reaction score
I've had out of round brake drums that stick and grab. To check it, I took it off, mounted back on the hub backwards and put a dial indicator on it to check run out while turning it.
Just had some surging on a dump truck drum that was only 0.014" out of round. A new drum fixed it.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
As mentioned above, pull the drums and have someone apply the parking brake and the brakes (Only 1/4 of the way to avoid popping the wheel cylinders) a couple of times. See if everything is moving freely and releasing all the way. See if everything is in the correct place. (That the e-brake arm, tension wire, and spring have not come off, etc.) If not moving freely pull everything apart, clean the backing plate, the shoe edge, and all the parts and pieces. (Use Brake Cleaner) Then lube appropriately and re-install. With a big screwdriver (Or a $12 brake adjustment tool from your parts store.) you can spin the star adjuster inside the drum area via the little window at the bottom of the brake backing plate. (There is supposed to be a rubber plug in the hole, yours may be gone.) Turn the drum as you turn the star to determine if you are tightening or losing it. Once you loosen it some, the drum will come off. (May need to tap with a mini sledge to break the drum free of the axle as they can rust to each other. Don't smash it or damage it, but it may take a good couple of hits to vibrate the rust apart.)

1) As several have suggested it could be the e-brake cables are sticking.

2) It could be the lever that the e-brake cable pulls are rusty or the pin that holds it is binding making it stick. So you release the brake in the truck, the cable slacks, but the e-brake arm does not release all the way and drags. As mentioned above and likely more common is rusty e-brake cables. But a clear view and access to the e-brake arm and cable will help you determine what is actually wrong.

3) It could be a bad wheel cylinder. (Dirt, rust, or worn inside and sticking.)

4) It could be a master cylinder going bad/sticking, not retracting and releasing the pressure.

5) It could be you have something loose in the drum. (Piece of brake shoe, a piece of rust, too much brake dust, or something metal has come loose.)

6) As mentioned in another post recently I was in, a ballooned/swollen brake line could be to blame. Brake lines are able to balloon/swell, so the pressure from the master cylinder is enough to squeeze the brake fluid past, but once the pressure bleeds down, the remaining fluid is stuck and still pressurized. Long shot but worthy of consideration.

7) As mentioned above, a bad brake differential valve. You learn something new every day!

8) Clogged or pinched brake line.

For the member who recently replaced his brakes, and they are tightening when not intended.

1) Make sure you put the correct parts on the correct side. As I recall you cannot put the shoe star adjusters on the opposite side. They also only go in one direction, but you can mistakenly reverse it. (I usually take a pic or two, do one side at a time, then can refer to the other side. Not suggesting you did it wrong, but the issue calls for inspection.)

2) Pull the drum, have someone work the brakes and the e-brake. Make sure everything is working as it should. Then you will know to look at some of the items above.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
2) Pull the drum, have someone work the brakes and the e-brake. Make sure everything is working as it should. Then you will know to look at some of the items above.

Be careful about pushing the brake pedal down with the drum off, you could pop the pistons out of the wheel cylinder.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online